Technical Steering knocking at high speed

Currently reading:
Technical Steering knocking at high speed

Hi on my 06 GP MJet I have a knocking noise that only happens above 50 and usually when im accelerating. I drive 80+ motorway miles per day and sometimes its noticeable sometimes not. Basically its a fast quiet knock/rattle and I get reverberation up through the steering wheel. If I let go of the wheel you can see the vibration on the steering wheel although the car does run straight and true. It seems to get worse accelerating up hill. Any ideas? Also if my car was subjetc to a recall but the previous owner didnt get it done can I still get it carried out free of charge at this late date? + How do I find out this info? Phone Fiat directly?

Thanks for your help guys

Wheels could need re-balanced? Produces bad judder at speed.

Drove a work Focus, had to go at 55mph otherwise I think I may have needed new wrists.

Also could be a warped disc.

My bet is a buckled alloy,

I had the same from the rear though, i thought i needed my tyres re-balancing but in the end it was a buckled alloy.

Didn't feel it until around 60mph

Magic - thanks for the reply. I have had unbalanced wheels before and its no where near as bad as that, the vibration is quite subtle however the knock is audible to the passenger. My car share buddy was querying it this morning. Thought something sounded loose. He didnt look to happy when I told him it was the steering! ha:eek:

May be a dodgy droplink ! They will make the knock sound you mention when the bushes are gone. Not too sure about causing the vibration though :-(

Cheers all, will get it looked at. Hope its something minor as have just paid 300 quid for the passenger side suspension arm plus top mount etc. Also had to get a new fuse box but saved myself some money getting a second hand one and fitting myself. I know my steering column is still original so hope its not anything to do with that. Fingers crossed.

Back