Technical Steering column removal. Help needed.

Currently reading:
Technical Steering column removal. Help needed.

roncat

Hi. Can anybody help. My daughter has a Mk 2 1999 Punto. The power steering goes off intermittently, so I thought that I would have a go at replacing the column. I have followed the excellent instructions provided on the forum by Dark Crusader but have get stuck on the last section where the nut has been removed from the column to the spline at the floor by the clutch pedal but I can't remove the bolt. It hits the bulkhead. The bolt is at the 12.00 o'clock position. I thought about turning the wheels / column to push out the bolt but this would upset the wheel alignment, which I've been careful to keep straight, as per the advice. I presume that there is a key where the bolt goes through stopping the column from lifting off the spline with the bolt in place
Can anybody help with recommendations to remove this bolt.
Thanks Ron.
I have also found a loose cut wire under the dash, a very thin wire. I don't think that I broke it on removal of the wires to the column, I can't see another loose/broken end or a connector with a missing wire. However, one problem at a time is enough for me.
I need to get the old column out, so that I can buy a replacement. Thanks again, if somebody could advise me. Ron

Back