Technical Steering box output shaft cracked

Currently reading:
Technical Steering box output shaft cracked

Katie B

Gone for a drive
Hi all,

Upon checking my steering box before installation I have noticed that the output shaft is cracked at the end. I'm not sure if it happened while the bearing puller was used to remove the arm or it had been dropped at some point (not by us), or even if it had been like that when I took it off and didn't notice at the time. The shaft is also slightly "rolled over" at the end.

49930206336_064bc7112c_o.jpg

49930509092_4ae089f1b9_o.jpg

The threads are sufficiently damaged that the nut will not thread on, does anyone think this could be re-tapped? If so, does anyone know what the thread size/pitch is or if a new shaft can be purchased to replace it? Hopefully I don't have to buy a whole reconditioned box.

Thanks in advance,

Katie

Hi all,

Upon checking my steering box before installation I have noticed that the output shaft is cracked at the end. I'm not sure if it happened while the bearing puller was used to remove the arm or it had been dropped at some point (not by us), or even if it had been like that when I took it off and didn't notice at the time. The shaft is also slightly "rolled over" at the end.

49930206336_064bc7112c_o.jpg

49930509092_4ae089f1b9_o.jpg

The threads are sufficiently damaged that the nut will not thread on, does anyone think this could be re-tapped? If so, does anyone know what the thread size/pitch is or if a new shaft can be purchased to replace it? Hopefully I don't have to buy a whole reconditioned box.

Thanks in advance,

Katie

Looks to me like a hacksaw mark.
It’s too clean and if it were a crack it would get thinner.
Also no evidence of a crack in the top.
I would guess someone had trouble removing the nut before and cut it off.
I think it will be ok.
You can try running a die down the thread, but I would be tempted to use a triangular needle file to clean the thread as it may just be the first couple of threads that are damaged

Looks like a crack to me but very strangely it hasn't gone all the way through to the central dimple.

When steering arm is on and nut tightens how is the nut positively retained?

Try fitting nut , if it goes on by hand thread ok , if not you may need to file down the thread at very end.

An alternative to a 'V' file is what is known as a 'thread-file' Katie. Most machine shops should be able to obtain/supply you a 'metric' version. These files have 8 different thread pitches built into them and the trick is to run the correct 'thread' on the file across the damaged/mis-aligned thread to clean it up. It is one of those tools that is a very useful addition to any tool-box.
Looking at the 'crack', it could possibly be a cut---possibly put on the end of the shaft as a guide for re-fitting the arm?

I'd go with the cut rather than crack....
thread file, hacksaw triangle file or needle file...to sort...

Back