Technical Starting issue 1.9 16v

Currently reading:
Technical Starting issue 1.9 16v

2bakedbeans

2008 Croma 1,9 16v diesel with 170,625mls (273,000km) on the clock. It's had starting problems for a while now. The battery was checked and although good and only 3 years old was replaced. No difference. So the starter motor was replaced. Things got a little better, but still won't start easily. The alternator was then suspect. I bought a gadget for battery and alternator testing, which worked well and says both are in good health. Even when the car was started the alternator was charging constantly without fault.
So, my question is what next.?
I will say that two injectors were replaced back in April this year as they were apparently not quite right. When driving the car performs well, fuel consumption is the same as when new 16 years ago.
It is going to a proper FIAT garage for annual service next month (It is an Italian registered LHD car) as I've lost confidence in Bosch service centres of late. Even here true FIAT garages are a bit thin on the ground! I don't want them to run off and replace everything in sight as the car is almost valueless now, but need it to be reliable for the next 2 years.
Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• Croma 1.9 16v 480dpi.mov
    10.7 MB
2008 Croma 1,9 16v diesel with 170,625mls (273,000km) on the clock. It's had starting problems for a while now. The battery was checked and although good and only 3 years old was replaced. No difference. So the starter motor was replaced. Things got a little better, but still won't start easily. The alternator was then suspect. I bought a gadget for battery and alternator testing, which worked well and says both are in good health. Even when the car was started the alternator was charging constantly without fault.
So, my question is what next.?
I will say that two injectors were replaced back in April this year as they were apparently not quite right. When driving the car performs well, fuel consumption is the same as when new 16 years ago.
It is going to a proper FIAT garage for annual service next month (It is an Italian registered LHD car) as I've lost confidence in Bosch service centres of late. Even here true FIAT garages are a bit thin on the ground! I don't want them to run off and replace everything in sight as the car is almost valueless now, but need it to be reliable for the next 2 years.
Thanks for any advice.

Improvement after battery..

Similar results expected with a worn HighPressure fuel pump

Extra RPM gives extra pressure

Pressure needs to be high..or ECU wont allow injection of fuel

So..get the pressure read from the ECU

Glow plug(s) ?

Just becuase there is no glow plug warning on the dash does not mean that one or more are not glowing. Any plug that goes down will inhibit / make starting difficult.

On my Croma I had one fail and starting was tricky. I replaced all 4 and everything was fine.

Thanks Guys for all the replies. Some interesting info there worth exploring, certainly the fuel pump is a possibility as although it is mucg easier to start than when the video was made, I do have press the the accelerator pedal a bit more to kick things going. Once started it's OK Not detected any fluctuations in rpm at idle. Presumabaly the ECU pressure readings is a diagnostic read job? It's always a problem when at the garage and tech things go on but are never explained!

Late to this, but is it cranking over OK or is the starter struggling? if it is slow to turn over a bad battery ground lead or bad positive to the starter and alternator could be the issue. Know weakness on these cars.
Sorry for late response. Yes it cranks over OK, it sounds like the starter struggles. However, as mentioned the FIAT garage has already replaced the (perfectly good) battery (which they said keep it, and tested it recently still showing 12.6v) plus the starter motor was replaced, again probably not necessary.
Yesterday the car went in for a annual full service. I mentioned the continuing starting trouble. They were UNABLE to come up with any suggestions, but did say that possibly the valve flaps (excuse my lack of technical language) are made of plastic(!?) they can sometimes stick causing the problem …
Anyway after having the service, two new front discs and pads all round etc I came away €839 lighter. Selenia Forward oil was €114 alone!
There was another issue concerning the drivers window in that the buttn would lower it but not raise. The only way is to use the remote key, locking and holding the button until the window raises. A pain at toll booths! Interestingly they said could not do anything as new parts are no longer available …

It will hopefully begin it's Autumn trip to the UK arriving 4 October and as always starting with a full tank to which a bottle of UK Comma Diesel Magic which has been used before with some noticeable benefit will be added.
Basic diesel here in Italy has been reaching crazy prices of late bordering on €2 per litre – probably more on the Autostrada. Special extra high cetane diesel is certainly over €2.

Swirl flaps are easy (ish) to check / observe as the main operating linkage to the falp actuator arms is visisble on the top of the cylinger head. The actuation solenoid is on the back side of the cylinder head to the left of the EGR valve and under the plenum chamber.
Thanks, is there anything good to be said of doing a Terraclean or similar. I have just today put some Diesel Extra fuel in and there was an almost immediate feeling that the engine was quieter. I'm very sceptical of such stuff but have used Comma Diesel Magic additive which does appear to do something!

Thanks, is there anything good to be said of doing a Terraclean or similar. I have just today put some Diesel Extra fuel in and there was an almost immediate feeling that the engine was quieter. I'm very sceptical of such stuff but have used Comma Diesel Magic additive which does appear to do something!
I'll have to pass on this. When I had my Croma 2005 I used just standard diesel. I think I only used an injector cleaner in the fuel once. No DPF or other agents. Did replace the EGR valve ant put a restrictor plate in. The plate reduces the EGR flow but does not block it so the car does not throw a wobbly.

Back