500 Start stop battery replacement

Currently reading:
500 Start stop battery replacement

Amyshepxx

Hi everyone!! I had my start stop battery replace in November after it died but since changing, the start stop feature hasn’t worked!

It says it’s “connected” but when in neutral it doesn’t turn off.

My dad swapped the batteries out but it’s only now once doing further research myself I see that usually start stop batteries need programming which won’t have happened when they were swapped out.

I own this multiscan software from when I upgraded my car radio in October.

My question is would scanning my car with this solve my start stop battery issues or do I need to book into Halfords to pay someone to sort it for me?

thank you!!

I think if you reset some of the parameters and previously learnt settings it should get it to work!- however it might not be immediate- as the system has to run through a certain amount of cycles for it to be sure that all the safety conditions for stop/start are being met! be worth checking that the charging system is fully functional and battery in good shape you need a MINIMUM of 12.4 volts from the battery after its been standing overnight but 12.6/12.7 is what you should have!.
check charging with a multi-meter you need between 13.1 to 14.2 at and just above idle speed also check with lights on and foot on the brake to give the system max load!, the smart alternator should keep the charging level the same!.

Manual or auto?
If manual, if you stall the car does it restart?
How far each day do you drive the car?
It’s a manual! It’s no longer restarting if it stalls when putting the clutch down. It has to be restarted by turning the key. On a standard work week it’s probably 50 miles a week but I regularly do longer trips to London requiring 200 miles per journey!

Hi everyone!! I had my start stop battery replace in November after it died but since changing, the start stop feature hasn’t worked!

It says it’s “connected” but when in neutral it doesn’t turn off.

My dad swapped the batteries out but it’s only now once doing further research myself I see that usually start stop batteries need programming which won’t have happened when they were swapped out.

I own this multiscan software from when I upgraded my car radio in October.

My question is would scanning my car with this solve my start stop battery issues or do I need to book into Halfords to pay someone to sort it for me?

thank you!!

Hi, I changed the battery on my 2018 model 1242cc 500

No problems, it just worked

Programming is a VW /AUDI thing..
None of my Italian cars have needed it

It’s a manual! It’s no longer restarting if it stalls when putting the clutch down. It has to be restarted by turning the key. On a standard work week it’s probably 50 miles a week but I regularly do longer trips to London requiring 200 miles per journey!

Potentially worth checking the function of your Clutch Switch with MES 😉

Out of interest.. Do you have Cruise Control? 🤔

Hi, I changed the battery on my 2018 model 1242cc 500

No problems, it just worked

Programming is a VW /AUDI thing..
None of my Italian cars have needed it
Oh how interesting!! I didn’t notice straight away after changing whether it worked our not. I had my battery changed in November and in early January I wanted to use it and it didn’t work. In late January one evening it worked once out of the blue but the next day it didn’t work again and hasn’t worked since?

Very confused! I don’t know much about cars but I do like the security of the start stop in the odd occasion I stall!

I had a different dash cam fitted at the same time and it was wired straight to the back of the radio. I’m in the process now of having it wired to the cigarette lighter as being wired to the back of the radio was causing it to be switched on 24/7 even when the ignition is switched off.

We charged up my battery last week but the start stop still isn't functioning!

People on here have had cheap old style batteries fitted, and S/S still works.. 🤔
So its unlikely to be Directly related to your battery purchase

Personally,

I would plug in MES

LOOK AT..
1: Clutch Switch
2: System Voltage

Also.. While you are there...

Get the page of Actuators to run the Radiator Cooling Fan (both speeds)

That could save your engine one hot day 🙂

Let us know how that goes 👍

People on here have had cheap old style batteries fitted, and S/S still works.. 🤔
So its unlikely to be Directly related to your battery purchase

Personally,

I would plug in MES

LOOK AT..
1: Clutch Switch
2: System Voltage

Also.. While you are there...

Get the page of Actuators to run the Radiator Cooling Fan (both speeds)

That could save your engine one hot day 🙂

Let us know how that goes 👍
Thank you!

Yes apparently the original battery I had on that the garage fitted when I bought the car 4 years ago wasn’t a start stop battery just a regular one but it worked perfectly!

Now since having it changed and fitted an actual start stop battery from euro car parts it hasn't worked since!

I will try scanning how you’ve said and come back with an update! ◡̈

I could have my dad check that out! Are they easy to locate under the bonnet?
They are skinny wires on the battery terminals

Possible to damage when swapping batteries.. But you've had it work since then 🤔

I will link to some info 🙂

It's on the negative battery terminal there's a thin wire that goes to the "block" attached to the cable/terminal
However the fact it won't start the car once its stalled is something to check out even if the systems "not working " it will always re start the car if stalled

They are skinny wires on the battery terminals

Possible to damage when swapping batteries.. But you've had it work since then 🤔

I will link to some info 🙂

First update!

Had a look on the MES software and it’s showing battery voltage as 11.7 so we are going to take the battery off and charge overnight in hope that will cure the issues!

If not will look further into the wires and the clutch switch!

First update!

Had a look on the MES software and it’s showing battery voltage as 11.7 so we are going to take the battery off and charge overnight in hope that will cure the issues!

If not will look further into the wires and the clutch switch!
Why is it so poor?
Do you have Bluetooth and does it work if you have?

Why is it so poor?
Do you have Bluetooth and does it work if you have?

When my dad fitted my dashcam he wired it to the back of the radio as we were upgrading the radio at the same time. This resulted in it being wired straight to the live and being active 24/7 even without the ignition turned on.

I have now rewired this to the cigarette lighter so that the dash cam only comes on with the ignition!

I imagine this had a large impact on the battery charge as last week after not driving it for the weekend, Monday morning the car was totally dead!

I have Bluetooth and it does work, but I never use it as I use CarPlay plugged in through the USB port ◡̈

Back