Spraying equipment

Currently reading:
Spraying equipment

randomspeedfreak

Hi,
has anyone done some paint spraying?
im thinking of starting out and would like to know some reccomendations of what i should go for:

what size and power compressor should i go for?

what are air filters and do i need them? are they expensive?

ive seen some 'hobbyair' electric compressors, can anyone reccomend these? or should i avoid them?

ive been told to go for a HVLP gravity feed gun but are the expensive ones that much better than the cheap ones? should i bother splashing out or go cheapo?

anything else i need or need to know?

cheers,
matt

What's your budget?
What will you be painting i.e. panels, full cars?

around £150? i could strech to £200 but it would help if i didnt have to.

im looking to spray panels atm, but whole cars in the near future, the kit i buy now i would want to be able to cope with whole car spraying

cheers

It depends what you want the end result to be :(
£150 should cover some of the safety equiptment, air mask etc.

To spray properly costs a fortune. :(
Plus you need a very well ventilated very warm large work area.

Actually I think my other post was not as helpful as it should have been :eek:

It might be an idea to buy some cheaper stuff as suggested by dave to get you started.

To put you in the picture, my spray guns cost £170 each they are middle of the range.
My compressor which I sourced cheap was around £250 it needed to be large enough in volume to keep up with a HVLP (High Volume Low Pressure) spray gun.
can't remember how much my water trap and air regulator valves were but they are whats needed to get top results.
some decent sanding tools are also advisable. an electric orbital sander is ideal.
if you spray 2k paint then you will need a good mask preferably air fed and it is unfair to spray this stuff if you are in close proximity to your neighbours.

My workshop costs enough :( and is on an industrial estate yet still health and safety come and visit me :(

ok thanks for your replies so far peeps

what size and power compressor should i go for?1.5hp? 2hp? 3hp?

ive seen some 'hobbyair' electric compressors, can anyone reccomend these? or should i avoid them?

is oil in the air a big problem? do modern compressors have this problem? will the filter take care of this?

ive been told to go for a HVLP gravity feed gun but are the expensive ones that much better than the cheap ones? should i bother splashing out or go cheapo?

i sprayed the bumper on this with a cheap clarke compressor an hvlp gun in the open

DSCF3851.JPG

the compressor at aldi atm is better than the one i got and comes with a lot more stuff, i think it has filters too, if not they have them too for £20

i sprayed the bumper on this with a cheap clarke compressor an hvlp gun in the open

the compressor at aldi atm is better than the one i got and comes with a lot more stuff, i think it has filters too, if not they have them too for £20

ok, i guess i could get myself down there,

how much am i looking at?

where do u get paint from?

cheers

i get paint from paint an panel motor factors, you should find one local in your yellow pages :) think the compressor at aldi was 150 but it comes with a lot of kit, a blower that is good for cleaning the dust out of your computer an keyboard, tyre pump, parafin cleaner for washing your engine, spray gun, ( i think it had an air brush kit in it too) and air hose

I own my own car bodyshop and the investment is ALOT more than many would think, ill be honest £200 for everything is very optimistic if you want to spray whole cars sooner or later but it is a good start

Dont buy the big expensive all in one kits for £150-£200 etc, there crap and dont last, the air lines are shiit and youll soon get sick of them kinking when moving round a car and causing air leaks, go Aldi this week and buy the following

Power Craft 2.5 hp compressor and accessories kit at £82 its reasonable spec and cheaper than buying the compressor on its own, should last you a year, maybe 2 if you dont do much with it, Mine lasted me 7 months before i blew the oil seals :eek: nedless to say mines 4 times the size now and runs everything i need in my unit without effort :devil:

Now throw away the cheapshiit air line and the two quick release fittings on the compressor, blank one off with a sealed bolt (seat belt ones usually about right size) and on the other go Aldi again and buy the 15M air hose reel kit at £41, bolt it on a frame above the compressor and go Machine mart and buy some sealed screw on connections for going to the compressor and an industrial quality 1/2" quick release female adaptor for the other end and at least 3 quick release male ends for the air tools youl be using

Now go a paint factors near you, (BS supplies is my main supplier if your ever near stoke) or Autocolour centre if you have one and get some prices on gravity fed guns, ignore the devil bliss GTi stuff its way out your league and way over priced for a start, DO NOT buy the cheap aldi/netto ones as its the main tool you be using

Buy a cheap starter gravity gun for about £20-25, my cheap primers gun is a GAZ pro costing £38 and i have had that for 3 years and its perfect for that purpose that will do for your primers and dark undercoats, then budget about £80-£100 for a decent starter Grav gun for your light top coats and laquers

I have spent a bit more there but that WILL start you off well and with time and patience you will have no excuse for not getting a good finnish upto standard of many cheap bodyshops :D

ALso you WILL need an in line air reg as ones on cheap compressors are rubbish and un accurate, buy one thats an in line filter as well for draining oil and water out your air line, drain it at least once a week and bleed the bottom of the compressor at least every fortnight, DO NOT fit an in line oiler for air tools just top the air tools up with oil when needed not the whole air line which will then contaminate your spray gun :bang:

any more questions just ask

wayne

wow thanks TYM, thats a quality post,

it will be a few weeks until im heading that way as ive just blown my savings on a carcover :eek:

ill keep you all posted with progress, thanks to all for help so far (y)

hi all,
just bought myself a compressor and spray gun, its a wolf 25l and it wasn't a bad price with a spray gun and loads of other air tools £160 delivered.

http://www.wolf.tv/product.asp?id=001721
like that one but with lots more kit like air ratchet etc.
it has 2 lines so i can have a seporate one for tools and spraying so as not to get oil in the line as TYM said.

so where do i go from here? i need paint,and thinners and stuff where should i go to ge tthat?

i need to know about the ins and outs of spraying now - is there a book or dvd that anyone would reccomend?

where should i get a moisture seporator?i think wolf have one should i get that?

ill report back when i get the compressor :)

thanks so far guys (y)

if anyone can help me with these questions that would be sound :)

1)tym said to blank off one of the outlets on my compressor - why is this?

2)i have bought 2 reels of hose, could i use the in line oiler on one of the lines,for my air tools, and have the other line for spraying without risk of contaminating the spraying air line with oil? (i.e. will oil go back down the hose? will the air filter remove all the oil that comes out in the air?
(there seems to be LOADS in the compressed air anyway)

3)the compressor came with a cheapo gravity feed gun, will this be ok for heavy base coats?

4) i know nothing about what kind of paint, mixing or thinners....http://www.expresspaints.co.uk/catal...p?cPath=42_148
does this place look ok?

5)how much paint should i buy? does it keep?

thanks for your advice so far peeps,(y)

right little update guys
ive finished my exams, and i have a massive summer before uni :D:D:D

ive got my respirator, and my regulator/filter thing (needs to be plummed in tho) (i dont have enough connectors :bang::eek:)

im gunna save up a little more, and get this http://www.spraygunsdirect.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=47_79&products_id=2102

ive all ready got a cheap primer gun, so just a bit more investment and i can start spraying shizzzzlleee
my uno racer to start :D

so thanks for you help so far. i still need to know more though, so if there is anything that you think i might need to know/ might not have thought of then just say it! :D

im thinking of getting some plastic sheeting or something, as my mates garage isnt that clean, and i dont want to spray his garage yellow. anyone know anything about this?

seems like a beast of a gun but reading earlier posts is the compressor you got gonna be able to deliver enough air for it to work properly? the cfm stated on the website is air displacement, not free air displacement which is the actual amount of air the compressor delivers

seems like a beast of a gun but reading earlier posts is the compressor you got gonna be able to deliver enough air for it to work properly? the cfm stated on the website is air displacement, not free air displacement which is the actual amount of air the compressor delivers
good question!
i dont know really, do you not think it will deliver enough?
maybe someone else will help us chip in with some knowledge....(hint) :D

thanks for that dave i had a read, and im changing guns

im gunna go for a cheaper spray gun for 3 reasons

1. the RRP on this spray gun is as high as the 1 i was going to get.
  2. its sealey and i trust them cos ive had their **** before
  3. my compressor will stand a good chance of coping ( i think)
  4. i suffer from CCPS (constant chronic poorness syndrome)
have a butchers: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sealey-Profes...trkparms=65:12|66:2|39:1|72:1689|293:1|294:50

cheers guys

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Back