Styling Spoilers coming off!

Currently reading:
Styling Spoilers coming off!

PU sealers are not the strongest, when i used to bond punto ones on we would only use windscreen sealer for bonded screens as its very strong, start again and clean all the old stuff off, ruff up the areas that will be bonded, refit and tape down (tightly) overnight it wont fall off again, i remember the punto spoilers were always falling off and people nicking them but i never got a comeback! good luck Ant! all sealers need to be kept above a certain temp or they wont cure especialy in this weather

your doing somthing wrong.
i glued the abarth rear to the cinq and could lift the car on it.
took serious effort to get it off.
you need to remove all the residual glue.
was it the black tiger seal?as 1st time i got the grey thats much weaker.
i also keyed the paint before glueing.
hold it down with plenty of masking tape while it drys.
give it a good 24hrs+
dont forget ot tension the masking tape down rather than just applying it

It was the black tiger seal i used. i made sure the area of the spoiler was rough and had no paint on it, i also used a hair dryed on the area of the car it was going on as it was a very cold day. then when i put the spoiler on i secured it with masking tape and put lots of heavy items ontop to weigh it down. Should i try doing the same again with tiger seal or use something else?

did you miss my post?, it will need to be cured overnight and pref kept warm, the advantage of the stronger sealer i advised is it cures quicker and doesn't rely so much on the weather if you follow the instructions there will be no problem Ant!

Would an epoxy resin like Araldite (not the cheap wilkos own brand :rolleyes: ) do the job. I pressume it would for a rigid part, but never tried it myself. It should work though and is a chemical bond rather than a plain adhesive bond.

Might be talking out my a**e though here :) It may just crack and fall off :p

Kristian

The other alternative is to get 2 or 4 nuts/bolts. Drill into the spoiler ends. Epoxy the bolt heads in. Drill and treat the tailgate (not sure if its double skinned though)? Still tiger seal, but also bolt it on through the tailgate. It will give a strong hold for curing, pluss the bolts, It'll never fall off again (y)

Kristian

I'd be inclined to bolt it, but properly. You're going to be bolting through a hollow panel, so you need to prevent that collapsing (with tube and big washers). And if bolting, I'd also use sikkaflex/tiger bond on the join.

I think Araldite (not the rapid kind) is a fair compromise: leave it for 24 hours or so.

The reason I favour spirit wipe or cellulose thinners over acetone as a surface preparation is not for fear of dissolving the plastic (it won't do that unless you virtually immerse the plastic in it: we're talking of a wipe with a cloth!) but simply because unless you have an industrial chemist, a glassfibre supplier or a back street drug manufacturer round the corner, they're easier to get hold of.

I've used tigerseal (black) to bond a big stupid ugly glassfibre monstrosity of a spoiler onto the back screen of an 05 seat ibiza cupra sport, yes the back screen! as instructed by the fitting instructions that came with it. That was about a year ago and i still see it about now, monstrosity still attached!

Back