Styling Spoilers coming off!

Currently reading:
Styling Spoilers coming off!

Sonic74205

nearly a week ago i fitted a spoiler onto my car. I applied the glue that came with it exactly as the instructions said. The left side and the middle are still stuck firmly onto the car but the left corner had become unstuck. What should i do? Attempt to get in the gap and put whats left of the glue onto it or is there some other kind of glue that you recommend?

But is it supposed to be just glued on?

I ask because:

1. Although Sikkflex and Tiger seal are semi structural adhesives, a spoiler, if it's actually doing any work, takes a pretty substantial load

and

2. I bought a second hand one to fit on the Cinq and it has no less than 6 captive nuts built into it: it's very obviously designed to be bolted and glued.

Thoughts welcome as as soon as I've got this one back to virgin primer and plastic (previous owner suffered a really horrible paint reaction) I'll be trying to bolt and bond it on.;)

Bushboy said:
no need for bolts AND glue, but glue on its own is a bad idea

Which is weird considering that AFAIK Fiat bonded the spoilers on from the factory :chin:

I bought the spoiler from www.tuning.co.uk/fiatshop It came with a tiny plastic stand for it to sit on for when its being painted and a tube of this black glue. that was it. In the in structions it just said apply the glue to the corners, but it on the car and leave it for at least 6 hours in temperatures no less than 18oC. I left my spoiler on with weights onto to stick it down for 20 hours

Where can i get tiger seal from?

polyurethane
tiger_seal.JPG

right matey what you wnat to do is to mark where the outline of the spoiler sits and then where the spoiler meets the bodywork you want to use a scotch pad and a bit of water to key the area where the glue is going to be applied, then you need to clean the area with some octoral degreasent and a spirit wip to ensure the surface is definoutly clean. you will need to clean the spoiler up aswell in the same process. there is a glue out there called upol stronghold i would reccomend getting the 5 minute set time one so you can make any minor adjustments if needed. apply the glue to the spolier then offer it up to the car and hold in place. the glue wills et in five minutes but it should never come off unless the spoiler is pulled. the downside with this is that the glue can be about 40£ a tube but in my opinion it is money well spent and theres no point doing a job unless you are going to do it properly. stay away from flex glue as this will allow movement in the spoiler and can come loose afer a while.

ive just read that some1 has put to use acetone to get the polish off dont do that seriously because if the spoiler is plastic based then the acetone will melt the plastic away and when you paint on it there will be a reaction . definoutly dont use it if you have sprayed the spoiler with spray cans because you will wash the paint off aswell as melt the plastic. just use the degreasent and scotch method and give it a rub a dub dub patience pays off mate

kritip said:
They meant acetone on the car body, to remove polish/wax. I highly doubt someone would polish the hidden end of new spoiler :p

Either will work fine I think though.

Kristian

Correct, I meant the panel. The scotch bright, or even 1000 grade wet n dry will do the keying too.

Cheers

D

I bought some tiger seal then attempted to put the spoiler on a second time. It fell off again! I have given up on the idea of JUST glueing it on.

Would someone be able to give me a step by step guide to fitting it properly?

Back