Technical Spare Tire Hoist on 2012

Currently reading:
Technical Spare Tire Hoist on 2012

DeLorean4

Hello,

I recently had to change an ABS sensor on the back of my 2012 500c Lounge, and to get better access, I tried removing the spare tire.
The entire system was so badly rusted that the cable sheared apart before it actually made the tire go down. I ended up having to grind off the bracket holding the tire up to release the spare.

The part number for the spare tire hoist is 68073957AF , and this appears to be a 2012-only discontinued part. They went with a different design starting 2013 that relocated the entire mechanism from the rear right corner to the middle of the trunk.
Where can I find one of these parts for my 2012? I'm concerned that a used part from a scrapyard would have very little life left in it.

Is there maybe a European part number that's still valid? The original 2012 part was made in Italy.

Since my Fiat turned 10 years old, I've started encountering more and more instances of discontinued parts. I really wish Stellantis would extend their support longer, especially considering the average age of a car in the US is now over 12 years.

Hello,

I recently had to change an ABS sensor on the back of my 2012 500c Lounge, and to get better access, I tried removing the spare tire.
The entire system was so badly rusted that the cable sheared apart before it actually made the tire go down. I ended up having to grind off the bracket holding the tire up to release the spare.

The part number for the spare tire hoist is 68073957AF , and this appears to be a 2012-only discontinued part. They went with a different design starting 2013 that relocated the entire mechanism from the rear right corner to the middle of the trunk.
Where can I find one of these parts for my 2012? I'm concerned that a used part from a scrapyard would have very little life left in it.

Is there maybe a European part number that's still valid? The original 2012 part was made in Italy.

Since my Fiat turned 10 years old, I've started encountering more and more instances of discontinued parts. I really wish Stellantis would extend their support longer, especially considering the average age of a car in the US is now over 12 years.
I have the same problem, except I have not attempted to grind anything yet. Looking for an answer.

I have the same problem, except I have not attempted to grind anything yet. Looking for an answer.

Here are some updates:
- I wrote to Stellantis USA and Canada and they gave canned responses about the duration of parts support. In the case of this spare tire hoist 2 years was adequate for them.
- I also wrote to the supplier in Italy and got nothing.
- I have tried buying a spare tire hoist from several Mopar part websites across the US and Canada and in each case they refunded me because the part was still listed as being in stock in error.
- Unless someone in the aftermarket releases a replacement 2012 hoist kit, you're stuck going to scrap yards or looking online for used parts.
- I ended up finding an AE design revision at a scrap yard that was rusty but functional. I wire brushed the rust off the brackets, applied a zinc coating, and repainting the whole thing. There aren't any obvious differences between the AE and AF.

If I could go back in time to save my factory hoist:
- I'd stop loosening the spare tire mechanism bolt when I'd start feeling resistance
- Fill the tube through which the metal cable passes with WD40 or Loctite Freeze and Release
- Pull and push the spare tire from the bottom of the vehicle until the cable freed itself
- Tighten and loosen the spare tire mechanism bolt
- Repeat the three previous steps. I'm pretty sure the tire would have freed itself eventually.

Righty-tighty = spare tire up
Lefty-Loosy = spare tire down

Here are some updates:
- I wrote to Stellantis USA and Canada and they gave canned responses about the duration of parts support. In the case of this spare tire hoist 2 years was adequate for them.
- I also wrote to the supplier in Italy and got nothing.
- I have tried buying a spare tire hoist from several Mopar part websites across the US and Canada and in each case they refunded me because the part was still listed as being in stock in error.
- Unless someone in the aftermarket releases a replacement 2012 hoist kit, you're stuck going to scrap yards or looking online for used parts.
- I ended up finding an AE design revision at a scrap yard that was rusty but functional. I wire brushed the rust off the brackets, applied a zinc coating, and repainting the whole thing. There aren't any obvious differences between the AE and AF.

If I could go back in time to save my factory hoist:
- I'd stop loosening the spare tire mechanism bolt when I'd start feeling resistance
- Fill the tube through which the metal cable passes with WD40 or Loctite Freeze and Release
- Pull and push the spare tire from the bottom of the vehicle until the cable freed itself
- Tighten and loosen the spare tire mechanism bolt
- Repeat the three previous steps. I'm pretty sure the tire would have freed itself eventually.

Righty-tighty = spare tire up
Lefty-Loosy = spare tire down
Thanks for this info, I appreciate it, I will try your "save the factory hoist" instructions.

Please let me know how it goes.
It just occured to me that it may help to put some penetrating oil through the sleeve the main bolt (to raise and lower the wheel) goes through in order to have it penetrate the mechanism from the top. Not the rubber cone at the top; between the bolt and the plastic casing of the mechanism from the top so it actually goes into the mechanism.

I assure you finding a new hoist is a nightmare.

I couldn't find one for sale online new or used whether with the Fiat part number, the Mopar accessory kit number, or older design revisions (AA, AB, AC, AD, AE). When going to a scrapyard, you're limited to 2012s and early 2013s, only some of them came equipped with a hoist, and most scrapyards I've been to will support the car from the middle of the spare tire which makes removing it impossible (unless the staff at your scrapyard are kind enough to lift the car and have it supported from another point so you can remove the part).
I called several scrapyards, visited three in person that were promising, and finally found a vehicle that had an accessible, functional hoist of the correct design. In the meantime, I learned that the spare tire was a more uncommon option than expected, and that the 2012 hoist is something that gets ripped out fairly quickly. The one I got was an AE instead of AF design, was rustier than my original hoist, but worked. I'm so glad that ordeal is over with.
I kept my broken AF-level hoist just in case it turns out the steel cable and sleeve are available as universal parts and I can help someone else out.

I was on the verge of finding a way of retrofitting a 2013+ hoist onto my car since those are still available brand new. From my understanding, this job would have required drilling holes in the sheetmetal, getting a 2013 trunk liner, and possibly adding spacers and weld nuts.

Please let me know how it goes.
It just occured to me that it may help to put some penetrating oil through the sleeve the main bolt (to raise and lower the wheel) goes through in order to have it penetrate the mechanism from the top. Not the rubber cone at the top; between the bolt and the plastic casing of the mechanism from the top so it actually goes into the mechanism.

I assure you finding a new hoist is a nightmare.

I couldn't find one for sale online new or used whether with the Fiat part number, the Mopar accessory kit number, or older design revisions (AA, AB, AC, AD, AE). When going to a scrapyard, you're limited to 2012s and early 2013s, only some of them came equipped with a hoist, and most scrapyards I've been to will support the car from the middle of the spare tire which makes removing it impossible (unless the staff at your scrapyard are kind enough to lift the car and have it supported from another point so you can remove the part).
I called several scrapyards, visited three in person that were promising, and finally found a vehicle that had an accessible, functional hoist of the correct design. In the meantime, I learned that the spare tire was a more uncommon option than expected, and that the 2012 hoist is something that gets ripped out fairly quickly. The one I got was an AE instead of AF design, was rustier than my original hoist, but worked. I'm so glad that ordeal is over with.
I kept my broken AF-level hoist just in case it turns out the steel cable and sleeve are available as universal parts and I can help someone else out.

I was on the verge of finding a way of retrofitting a 2013+ hoist onto my car since those are still available brand new. From my understanding, this job would have required drilling holes in the sheetmetal, getting a 2013 trunk liner, and possibly adding spacers and weld nuts.
I soaked the mechanism from under the car and the top today, will see how it goes after I do that a few more times, will keep you posted, thanks again DeLoren4

Back