Technical smoked lights help???

Currently reading:
Technical smoked lights help???

I have the darkest lamin-x film on my rear lights and passed the MOT no problem.

There's no point driving with illegal bits on your car and changing them for the MOT as you'll just get pulled by police and fined in the meantime.

The rear lights must reflect back light as red. So other cars can see you. You can check by shining a torch at your rear lights.

what?

DSCF5051.JPG

Going by the above these would be an MOT fail then? (they are OEM Fit)

Each lamp fitted must give 100% as originally designed. If "film" is applied over the original lenses, then a tester is expected to assess the light output and durability of the film, if the illumination of any lamp cannot be seen from a "reasonable distance" like say 20 metres, then it may fail.

Its down to the tester on the day

Your insurance company will want to know about the modification too

Hi peeps I'm new to all this but looking at the tints where do u get the film from? Would it not be easier to get Tint spray?

Hi peeps I'm new to all this but looking at the tints where do u get the film from? Would it not be easier to get Tint spray?

Tint spray is ****e imo.

Google laminX. Its expensive but worth every penny.

The cheaper version is something called a flyeyes kit.

The tint spray is pretty good! I have it on my mk2 rear lights, i masked my reflectors off but as said the gp ones are on the bumper, i have fly eyes on my headlights and it looks good but not on rear lights, i had some spare and tried it on a mates GP and it wasnt as good as just sprayed or the laminX. as for spraying you can build up coats to the desired tint, it polishes up to a high gloss too, it can be removed if just sprayed.

Bear in mind that the MOT test has changed from 2012, with a lot of new "reasons for rejection" (i.e. failures) being added.
The new bits are advisories until April, then they become fails.
Among them is:
1.1 Front and Rear Position lamps and Registration Plate Lamps

Reason for Rejection:
d. not visible from a reasonable distance due to excessive damage, deterioration, or having products on the lens or light source
http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/m4s01000101.htm

It doesn't quantify how much light has to get through, or what a "reasonable distance" is, so it's really down to the mood of the person testing your car...

Last edited:
Back