Sleeping Problems!

Currently reading:
Sleeping Problems!

When I come in off nights I check the forum, reset my online games, have a whisky and crash. I'm still back up and wide awake by 09:00 though. :(

When I was rostered on nights I used to be in zombie mode by Thurs night. I once fell asleep standing up on a pit ladder working on a motor, woke up with bruises in the pit. I didn't always make Fri night, usually ended up sharing my bait out in the pub. Remember the boss shouting across the shed once, "Cummings!!, this place OPENS Friday nights."

OK peoples here are my professional thoughts. The thing about not eating too much or drinking caffeinated drinks late at night is good advice. As suggested they are best replaced by warm milk. Remove any distractions such as music or telly and make sure your room is a comfortable temperature and atmosphere, with a comfy bed and pillows. Many people neglect these and wonder why they can't sleep so consider buying new ones if yours are worn. Some wind down time is also essential. If you find you are still buzzing after work, have a warm bath (lavender and chamomile scents can help relax you further) and do some deep breathing/ yoga. OK it sounds girlie but just sitting there concentrating on nothing but your breaths in and out for 10 mins gets everything else out of your head. Yoga combines breathing exercises with physical stretching to leave you feeling both physically and mentally relaxed.If you still struggle changing between shifts at weekends then a sleeping tablet (either herbal such as valerian or orthodox such as Nytol) will help you transfer from one to the other but they're best not used every night as they stop working over time. If in winter you take other medication this can also keep you awake - many cold remedies contain decongestants which act as a mild stimulant (so ask your friendly pharmacist for advice ;)). Is it just the shift work that's causing sleeping problems? Other causes can include emotional stress, depression/ anxiety and pain so if you think one of these might be exacerbating it then consider tackling the cause instead of just the symptoms.

Sleep tight!

oh dont drink energy drinks or take proplus if your tired at work, i was addicted to proplus till about 4 months ago :eek:, i was always on a constant high :(

attempt to read anything by jane austen-guaranteed to knock you out after about half a page.

KirstyTL said:
attempt to read anything by jane austen-guaranteed to knock you out after about half a page.

Can second that followed by any book possibly containing one or more of these harrowing technical subjects:

Fourier Series and Transforms
Laplace Transforms
Calculus of any kind
Thermodynamics
Fluid Mechanics
AC and DC circuit analysis

That did me last year anyway!!

Whats wrong with AC DC Circuit Analysis..? It's an electrifing subject...

i have never been on nights personally but i was wondering this how long are you shifts, are they just like days ones (8hours) but at night time? if they are think about this, on a day shift most people start at 9, and get up at about 7, they come home between 5-6, and DO NOT got to bed, they maybe go to the shops and watch TV, make some Tea and go to bed at about 11, adding up to a 16hour day, the impression i am getting is that you guys are coming in from your shift, still full of adrenelin from the nights work and trying to go to bed. try to act as though the night is day, go to a 24hour supermarket and do you shopping, make sure all your soaps are recoreded on sky plus and watch the ones you missed with either sleeping or working, and just act like a normal day, and if all that fails you could try to set your watch wrong, so you think its a normal day but its not really.

my normal shift is from 10pm - 7am, i have been known to work 9pm - 12pm :(

i have roughly 6 hours sleep, i go to bed about 10am and wake up around 4/5pm, in time for normal tea

i am startng my night shift again tonight, so i will hopefully go to bed around 2pm for a few hours kip

bloomfieldliam said:
ketomine? Do you not need to break into the vets for that?
Liam
not at all m8 if u kno the right people.... ketomine is usually taken after a rave.

if u are takin coke and or pills all night to keep u goin u find u cant sleep, start to shivver, start seeing things, constantly hear music, and have 1 hell of a bangin headache.

ketomine sends u to sleep an brings u back down again!
but when u wake up again it is very very messy!!! :yuck:

p.s if u take too much it gets very nasty! i've seen some people in a REAL mess after that! they twitch in their sleep, not nice at all!

Last edited:
Back