Technical Silo 3dr - help with freezing door!

Currently reading:
Technical Silo 3dr - help with freezing door!

d_ave

Hello,
When the temperatures drop below 0C the passenger door of my 2001 3dr Stilo freezes! The major problem is that it freezes in opened position - when i try to open it at first it opens, but afterwords i cannot close it - it just slams without closing. it's a nightmare, because sometimes i got stuck with opened door, which i cannot close in order to lock the car! i guess there's some bad grease inside, but i don't know what to disassemble to clean it. Any suggestions? i tried with some anti-freezing sprays, but with no effect. i also tried spraying with WD40 inside the visible parts of the mechanism, again with no effect.

You have got water inside the locking mechanism. I've had this problem myself. To cure it for good you need to get inside the door, and lube up all the moving parts with some serious grease. WD40 will not do the job unfortunately.

That's what i was thinking - getting inside the door. any suggestions how to do this?

It's for the rear doors from a 5-door version, but the idea is the same. For the front doors, be careful with the plastic clips at the door hinge side, as they break easily. Mine did too, but they can be plastic welded back on with a soldering iron. :D

You will understand when you hear the snap you don't want to hear and see the part still stuck on the door - missing from the doorcard. :mad:

https://www.fiatforum.com/stilo-guides/196933-5d-stilo-rear-door-dismantling.html

Same Problem with my door.....when it happens i lock the doors (with Button on Door) while the affected door is open, then Close the Door.....Door shuts fine, but will only open again after the temp warms up . usually after a half hour with heaters on full.....been dukes of hazard style in and out of window....great fun.

Back