General Side lights

Currently reading:
General Side lights

Josh Tugwell

Hey guys.
I just wanted to know how to get the side lights on the evo to stay on when the fog or dipped/main lights are on
Thanks Adobe_20191225_193150__01.jpeg

What you've circled there appears to be the indicators, not the sidelights. The sidelights are the tiny twinkles in the headlamps, which should stay on with the headlamps as standard.

When you put the lights to just sidelghts, you should get just the little twinkles at the front, and the tail lights and number plate lights at the back. Then the next switch position adds the headlamps.

If the amber lamps are lit at any time other than when you are indicating, there is a fault, probably a bad earth, that needs finding and fixing. A bad earth at the rear lamps is favourite, and can affect the front lamps as the current goes the wrong way through any circuit it can find.

You do not want the amber lights on in normal driving. This would contavene lighting regulations, and make turnign less safe. Having one flashing as a signal, while the one the other side is still on will not show the message you need, and others are likely to not see, or ignore the flashing one. You would also lose the alerting affect of it coming on when you signal, as instead you'd be turning it off first, not on.

No on the evo the indicators are on the bumper of the car not in the headlamp
What you've circled there appears to be the indicators, not the sidelights. The sidelights are the tiny twinkles in the headlamps, which should stay on with the headlamps as standard.

When you put the lights to just sidelghts, you should get just the little twinkles at the front, and the tail lights and number plate lights at the back. Then the next switch position adds the headlamps.

If the amber lamps are lit at any time other than when you are indicating, there is a fault, probably a bad earth, that needs finding and fixing. A bad earth at the rear lamps is favourite, and can affect the front lamps as the current goes the wrong way through any circuit it can find.

You do not want the amber lights on in normal driving. This would contavene lighting regulations, and make turnign less safe. Having one flashing as a signal, while the one the other side is still on will not show the message you need, and others are likely to not see, or ignore the flashing one. You would also lose the alerting affect of it coming on when you signal, as instead you'd be turning it off first, not on.

No on the evo the indicators are on the bumper of the car not in the headlamp

Did you mean your reply to be rude? Because that's how it comes across. Perhaps a little more care in how you write is needed. You also seem to have ignored the rest of my reply. Specifically, "The sidelights are the tiny twinkles in the headlamps, which should stay on with the headlamps as standard."

Have a look at the attached pic, taken from a Evo handbook download. (If you have a handbook, perhaps a read through might help you understand your car better. If you've not got one, choose the most appropriate download from the EVO section.)

As I said, the sidelights are the little twinkles in the headlamps. (A in the pic) What you have circled is the Daytime Running Light (DRL). It does have an orange appearance in your pic, presumably just a reflection.

DRLs come on with the engine, to highlight a moving vehicle. They are brighter (21w) than the normal sidelights (5w) and legislation states they must either extinguish, or dim to sidelight level when headlamps (or foglamps) are on. It would appear that your car is working as it should, and no, you can't have the bright lights on with the headlamps, as that would be an offence.

Attachments

• EVOlights.jpg
    EVOlights.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 41
That is an EVO in the picture, the Grande doesn't have the black plastic front bumper.
I think it might be OP's car, based on his profile pic it looks very similar.
Based on OP's picture, and Bill's manual extract I think he's talking about the DRLs, rather than the side lights, and wants them to stay on with the headlights.
Edit: And the EVO indicators are in the black bumper section, OP seems to have tinted them black.

Last edited:
The DRLs on an EVO provide very little useful light anyway, they sort of shine out sideways and upwards and not onto the road.

It’s that old argument of heat as well, with headlight, sidelights and DRLs all lit together how much heat would that generate around the plastic headlight unit.

Bill made a point about Covering the indicator but not only that, half the headlight appears to be covered as well by some sort of trim.

Personally given how important working headlights are it’s better to leave the headlights alone completely and not mess about with them. There are a lot of laws which could quickly get you in trouble with the police and if they fail then you are in a very dangerous position for getting home.

Sorry I didn't mean it to come across as rude
My apologies
Did you mean your reply to be rude? Because that's how it comes across. Perhaps a little more care in how you write is needed. You also seem to have ignored the rest of my reply. Specifically, "The sidelights are the tiny twinkles in the headlamps, which should stay on with the headlamps as standard."

Have a look at the attached pic, taken from a Evo handbook download. (If you have a handbook, perhaps a read through might help you understand your car better. If you've not got one, choose the most appropriate download from the EVO section.)

As I said, the sidelights are the little twinkles in the headlamps. (A in the pic) What you have circled is the Daytime Running Light (DRL). It does have an orange appearance in your pic, presumably just a reflection.

DRLs come on with the engine, to highlight a moving vehicle. They are brighter (21w) than the normal sidelights (5w) and legislation states they must either extinguish, or dim to sidelight level when headlamps (or foglamps) are on. It would appear that your car is working as it should, and no, you can't have the bright lights on with the headlamps, as that would be an offence.

The DRLs on an EVO provide very little useful light anyway, they sort of shine out sideways and upwards and not onto the road.

It’s that old argument of heat as well, with headlight, sidelights and DRLs all lit together how much heat would that generate around the plastic headlight unit.

Bill made a point about Covering the indicator but not only that, half the headlight appears to be covered as well by some sort of trim.

Personally given how important working headlights are it’s better to leave the headlights alone completely and not mess about with them. There are a lot of laws which could quickly get you in trouble with the police and if they fail then you are in a very dangerous position for getting home.
Do you know which colour wire it is on the plug for the head light housing?
Thanks
Josh

Back