Technical shunted

Currently reading:
Technical shunted

pinemartin

Recently got shunted while stationary at lights. Exchanged details, just as well because further examination behind rear bumper noticed rear cross member ( I think it's called that) was bowed in. Not massively. I don't think the offending car was going that fast . The rear hatch closes ok and no other visible damage. drives ok as well.
I am rather fond of my Panda, although 8 years and 80k miles old is very reliable and would hate to lose her(n). Waiting in anticipation for insurance decision. Do any members have any idea of costs should I buy it back as insurance write off if it came to that?

Recently got shunted while stationary at lights. Exchanged details, just as well because further examination behind rear bumper noticed rear cross member ( I think it's called that) was bowed in. Not massively. I don't think the offending car was going that fast . The rear hatch closes ok and no other visible damage. drives ok as well.
I am rather fond of my Panda, although 8 years and 80k miles old is very reliable and would hate to lose her(n). Waiting in anticipation for insurance decision. Do any members have any idea of costs should I buy it back as insurance write off if it came to that?

Buy-back will depend on the insurer. I doubt it would be a huge price asked by the insurers £300-£500 at a guess), though you'd try and negotiate.

It may be repairable - that bumper cross-beam is a popular ebay item and bumpers are cheap enough. May be better to avoid insurance claim if you can.

Thanks for reply. I believe it's called a bumper re enforcer bar, a bolt on job according to my research on the internet , and relatively cheap. Keeping fingers crossed it's limited to that. The car behind bumped me from a standing start so was low speed. Got a courtesy car as own car removed. Very nice high spec C1 but I miss my Panda.

Yes, it is a fairly simple bolt on job. First, remove the rear bumper - several hidden self-tappers in wheel arches, plus obvious bolts underneath - and the metal cross beam just unbolts. It is also held in place by sealer, so a craft knife will be needed to split this off.

I did this to fit a tow bar, where the cross beam becomes redundant.
Now there's an idea - buy a towbar and you won't need a new crossbeam!

Just had word from the garage and it's going to be fixed. Bumper, bar and some minor damage in wheel well.
In the meantime my top spec C1 will have to do but I still prefer my basic Panda Active. Does that make sense? You just don't need gimmicks like parking cameras. It is such a doddle to park and move around town. It's been with me for 8 years , 100% reliable and still drives like new.

Back