Technical Short shifter in 500T

Currently reading:
Technical Short shifter in 500T

It won't technically change the precision, the change will be the same mechanical function in the g/box but it will feel sharper / quicker as the throw will be less.

The gearshift is one of the best things about the 500, i wouldn't.

Agree, one of the best I've had on any car. I guess it would still be great even with a slightly shorter throw too.
Couldn't be bothered to mess with gear linkage, trim etc myself tho.

It won't technically change the precision, the change will be the same mechanical function in the g/box but it will feel sharper / quicker as the throw will be less.

The Craven won't but the TWM will :)

I have a TWM waiting to go in. It's all metal construction (cage, pivot ball and reverse pull) should make it more precise. I haven't fitted it only because it adds quite a lot of weight so I plan on 'blueprinting' it
biggrin.gif

The stock plastic cage probably doesn't flex much with the stock shifter, but with the increased effort of the short throw, it could become an issue IMO. The USDM 500T isn't as weight sensitive as my TA, so I'd say go with TWM.

TWM also sell a short shift extender, so you get the same lever position, but still with a shorter throw.

I think the Craven is too middle of the road for my liking. It's expensive, but it's not a complete replacement, I'd go with the much cheaper short shift adapter (forget who makes it) over the Craven.

TWM looks an amazing piece if kit!
You are making me want one now lol.

If you are ordering from America let me know we can share the shipping cost.

Would love to RUI but I'm skint after buying the Koni FSD / Eibach Sportlines.

It looks like it's £250 inc shipping, not bad.

If you're looking to improve your 500 after putting decent suspension, buy a quaife..... You won't regret it.

A Quaife is expensive, not a DIY job, and a pretty big MPG hit. Plus, the shifter is something you'll feel every time you drive the car.

A Quaife is expensive, not a DIY job, and a pretty big MPG hit. Plus, the shifter is something you'll feel every time you drive the car.

MPG suffers with a Quaife LSD? Are you sure?

LSD's basically connect the left and right wheels in one way or another to create friction between them. It's enough to make the steering heavier, and enough to affect MPG (when the steering's not straight at least). jnoiles reported 4mpg I think? For my money, the TA doesn't need an LSD, well, maybe if the clutch needed replacing, but my clutches tend to go 300,000km.

I read somewhere that the TWM cage was alloy, so I checked mine and it's definitely steel as I remember. I won't be fitting a steel cage to UFI so it has to wait until I can mill an alloy replacement.

It does spin the inside wheel on fast tight corners. Would also help in snow too.

LSD's basically connect the left and right wheels in one way or another to create friction between them. It's enough to make the steering heavier, and enough to affect MPG (when the steering's not straight at least). jnoiles reported 4mpg I think? For my money, the TA doesn't need an LSD, well, maybe if the clutch needed replacing, but my clutches tend to go 300,000km.

Just to balance things out :)

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/effect-lsd-mpg-24003.html

What they say makes sense, the LSD only comes into play when you're actually getting wheelspin.

There's no real evidence in that thread and both posters agree that there's parasitic drag whenever the wheels aren't pointed straight. I'm not saying it's not small, but TA's are pretty sensitive to any drag. There's also added rotational inertia to think about.

Quaife type units are most efficient, but jnoiles also reported that the steering becomes more weighty with the LSD, which would suggest the LSD is doing something.

Not really relevant, but here's a really good look at a viscous (Hydratrak) diff:

http://http.www.fordforums.com.au/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=11350962

You can clearly see any time there's a 'differential' moment, there's drag.

Last edited:
Back