Technical Shock mount

Currently reading:
Technical Shock mount

Hi all!

I have to replace an offside front strut on a friends Stilo (1.2) and I've noticed that the alignment hole at the top of the shock mount does not line up as it should with the centre markings beneath it. A pic is attached and it looks like its out of alignment by around 40° to the right of where it should be in the photo.. Can I line it up after I install by giving the whole strut a twist or must I do it off the car by compressing the spring, loosening the nut and realign by hand.

Any ideas please?

Attachments

• 1461436903422.jpg
    1461436903422.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 48
Hi I took my strut off to do myself 1.2 stilo but chickened out after reading about the possibilities of injuring myself. anyway ended up taking strut to a tyre centre etc they charged 25 quid to remove old spring and put on the new spring I supplied.the end result being the lower rubber bit on top of spring is not aligned so like you I need to know if it has to be completely dissambled and repositioned,
or

if i can just remove the whole strut
then compress the spring
loosen nut
twist lower rubber mount to align
align upper rubber mount
tighten nut
and uncompress spring
refit strut

simples ish maybe

I think your problem can be solved by putting a spanner on the nut just above your misalignment and turning it, as its above the bearing and so should twist , as mine turned but only the upper rubber not the lower one which is where my problem lies.hope this helps

This is so damn embarrassing! That whole misaligned top piece will rotate by hand if you twist is properly. The whole "shaft" of the shock turns with it. After dragging the shock to work on the train and dropping it into a mate with a spring compressor, he nearly p**$ed himself laughing when I told him what I wanted. He grabbed the shock, gave the mount a twist and there it was....all perfect..:eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:
Well there's nothing like a day out on the train for a car part wait till he tells that story to his mates at the breakers yard in the future ,,,, glad you got it sorted
Took my strut off compressed spring loosened nut to top of thread and twisted the mount was easier and safer than expected as it was still confined within the strut.
All sorted and running again with the 1 to 2mm gap at the top which many FF members comment on

Back