Shiny Shiny!

Currently reading:
Shiny Shiny!

Not exactly Fiat related, but the info is relevant to all here.

Mrs D has a Mk4 Golf Anniversary which comes with 18" BBS alloys as standard finished with a distinctive burnished/polished face, now these are renowned for corroding overtime due to poor weather resistance although they are still very desirable and harder to find that rocking horse sh*t. She's finally agreed to part with the car and just keep the R32. So the alloys needed looking at prior to listing the car in all the usual places.

After much research via various forums and web I came across a company called Aerocoat - In particular their Aeromax powdercoat finish – (http://www.aerocoat.net/Aeromaxtm.htm).

Compared to other refurbishers the finish was very attractive due to an excellent mirror final finish, quicker turn around and cost effectiveness. In short you could have a polished look rim refurbed sooner and cost less due to the manufacturing process of powdercoating against machining.
The powercoat finish looked very similar to the original machine polished/burnished rim on the Golf. The benefit here was that the rims would be powdercoated and will offer better corrosion resistance. I didn’t even realise that you could have a powdercoat finish like this…. Its very unique.

I found that the alternatives (other refurbishers) to Aeromax were a paint sprayed finish, powdercoat finish (non-mirror finish), machined/polished finish or a chrome finish. All of which would then be sealed in with a top Lacquer. The latter two options being more expensive and the inherent problem still being corrosion - in theory the next owner would be back to square one at some point.

Anyway, I phone Aerocoat and after some discussion they said they could refub the alloys with out any loss of the original burnished finish and repair minor curbing as long as there weren't chunks of the rim missing.

BEFORE:
DSC02469.jpg

AFTER:
DSC02477.jpg

Must say I'm impressed with the finish, price was £60 per corner and the turn around is anything from 3-7days depending on their workload.

Last edited:
Looks stunning. I guess it's pricey due to the effort is put into getting the finish bang on as shown.
How did you allow the wheels to get like that though?

The finish on the BBS Anni alloys is achieved by polishing with 1000's of tiny ball bearings and then a lacquer top coat applied, but the lacquer is paper thin. The alloys are renowned for corroding to the point where VW were offering replacements under warranty but the replacements were just refurb'd alloys sprayed a metallic silver and then lacquered and looked no where near as good as the originals. The Aeromax clear powder coating keeps the original burnished finish and adds a significantly tougher protective layer with the benefit of just requiring a hosing off to remove and brake dust.

Back