General Service ...... maybe new lower springs ..

Currently reading:
General Service ...... maybe new lower springs ..

AUTOMATIC

Hi Panda Guys n Gurls ,

My Panda desiel MJ is going in for a service. Its got 41 thousand miles on the clock . How many litres of oil should I get ? ( the place where I work is doing it for free ) Should I get the fan belts done Timing belts as well ? and would the ride be better if I stuck lowered springs only on it ....

ta Ginger x

The diesel has a timing chain. At 41K miles I'd leave it well alone. I got mine changed last January at 71K as a precaution and I'm now regretting it as the guides failed between Christmas and the New Year. It has cost me a small fortune getting it all fixed up. It's a big job and you'll need to get it done by someone who will do it right.

I kind of like the bouncy ride of the Panda, lol.

My timing chain failure was followed by clutch failure the day after I got it back and then brake failure a week later. Needless to say I'll never go back to the garage I had used for the last number of years! Just ensure whoever services it does a thorough job. Seemingly not a lot was done in the 'full' service I had requested.

Change the oil, oil filter, air filter and fuel filter. (Fuel filter can be a bit of a pig, do a search on youtube)

If it's got Air Con, they'll be a cabin filter tucked up by the clutch pedal, fecker to get in and out (see youtube again)

I'd throw in some Forte injector cleaner in with the new fuel filter.

It takes around 3 litres (perhaps a drop more with a filter change) of 5W40.
Specs vary, depending on who you ask (even between dealers)
But a decent oil like Castrol, Magnatec 5W-40 C3 would be ok.
(2012 on use 5W-30 I think)

I'm not a big fan of using engine flushes, but each to their own.

Check the aux belt (fan belt) if it's cracked, replace it, if not and it doesn't slip/squeel, leave it alone.

Check the brakes, both friction linings and disc/drums for wear, clean off/drums out. Check for leaks.
While you are under there, check the condition of the boots/gaitors on the CV joints, rack ends and anti roll bar droplinks (now an MOT failure)

Check the brake fluid, depending on age, it may need replacing (about 4 years is the norm)

Check for loose bushes in the front wishbones, check them for splits and pry them with a bar to check for slop.

Check the lower "Eye" bushes in the rear shocks, these can split away from the metal eye of the shock body.
Check front and rear shocks for leaks.

Check the tyres for wear, nails and pressure (don't forget the midget one in the boot).
Rock the wheels to check for free play, spin them to check for rough bearings.

Check the wiper blades, washers (that they hit the screen) and fluid level.

Check condition of exhaust, back boxes can rust up badly.

Check in the scuttle panel, under the wipers, there should be a couple of drain holes in the bottom, clean them out or it'll fill with water,

Check all the blubs/lights, horn, condition of reflectors, number plates etc.

Clean it off, particularly the wheel arches (get around the lip and shift the s**t)

Last edited:
Back