General Service and Other Things

Currently reading:
General Service and Other Things

I became an amateur mechanic in 1985, the year I bought a Peugeot 205 diesel. In those days most diesel cars needed an oil and filter service after about 500 miles (if I remember correctly). Took my car to the dealer for its service, waited about three hours in pissy Coatbridge. Collected car, and for some reason I decided to have a look under the bonnet. Oil filter was covered in mud, and on removal of dipstick it was obvious that oil was not new. Confronted dealer service manager, and after some discussion he agreed that it had not been changed due to an oversight (my arse).
In the 1980's and for next 20 odd years you only got a one year warranty on your shiny new car. So I decided from that day onwards I would do all my own servicing. Every car then was almost guaranteed to have a Haynes manual available. So I have removed engines, changed clutches, etc. Self taught. I treat service departments with loads of scepticism, and always check that work has been done. Read my recent horror story regarding the burst fuel line, and the shambolic level of incompetence I experienced at the hand of a main Fiat dealer.
I know this story goes back some 30 years, but it does illustrate that some service department can be ars.....s.

...I know this story goes back some 30 years...

Sadly the experiences of many folks here would suggest that little has changed, except perhaps for the price you have to pay to be subjected to this sort of abuse.

I've serviced my own cars from new; it was a calculated gamble that seems to have paid off, since nothing of significance has happened which I might have been able to claim for under warranty.

Last edited:
If i had the knowledge, tools and garage space i would service my car myself as well! Good for you guys.

Actually service intervals in Australia 'by the book' (or, at least, my book) are 30,000km or 12 months. The dealer recommends 15,000km (well, they would wouldn't they?). It's all academic for me as I'll never cover even 15k in a year.

Service intervals for all makes seem to be more regular in Oz than even New Zealand even on our Toyotas. This is why I have experimented with our Corolla bought new in 2005 and never serviced. Now done just short of 100000km and still going strong. Only replaced wiper blades, battery and remarkably two tyres. Uses a little oil but other than that is fine.

Service intervals for all makes seem to be more regular in Oz than even New Zealand even on our Toyotas. This is why I have experimented with our Corolla bought new in 2005 and never serviced. Now done just short of 100000km and still going strong. Only replaced wiper blades, battery and remarkably two tyres. Uses a little oil but other than that is fine.

You havent changed the oil in 100K / 9 years? that's 62K miles, it will come out in the wash eventually I suspect and your 'experiment' will prove to be expensive, a bit pointless really as you could change the oil and filter yourself for a few quid. I feel a smokey engine coming on..............

You havent changed the oil in 100K / 9 years? that's 62K miles, it will come out in the wash eventually I suspect and your 'experiment' will prove to be expensive, a bit pointless really as you could change the oil and filter yourself for a few quid. I feel a smokey engine coming on..............

Actually a new engine from a Toyota dealer fitted would now be cheaper than the servicing over the last nine years. I am not suggesting that anybody should do this, but here in Victoria we do not have a regular check, which I believe we should. The interesting experiment is how far the car can be pushed within safety limits. I know everybody does not agree with me but you have to admit it is interesting.

Actually a new engine from a Toyota dealer fitted would now be cheaper than the servicing over the last nine years. I am not suggesting that anybody should do this, but here in Victoria we do not have a regular check, which I believe we should. The interesting experiment is how far the car can be pushed within safety limits. I know everybody does not agree with me but you have to admit it is interesting.

Haha that's funny. Let us know how you get on! Chances are at some point it will fail emissions from sludge (engine check light will come on) and prob then you will need to replace the engine.

How about brake pads?

Haha that's funny. Let us know how you get on! Chances are at some point it will fail emissions from sludge (engine check light will come on) and prob then you will need to replace the engine.

How about brake pads?

Still original brakes and two original tyres on the back axle.

Ignore the advice of some here to trust the dealer on the first service.
Mark your oil filter clearly. It will confirm if the dealer has been thorough, and it may also alert the mechanic to the fact that you know what should be done. Check the dipstick also before accepting the car after service.

It will all stand you in good stead when you next return, or have a warranty complaint.

The squeaky wheel always gets the grease!

Still original brakes and two original tyres on the back axle.

Sounds like a lot of open country and straight road driving. Best use of an engine, plus brakes/tyres etc last longer.

At one time when the market was favourable, I was exporting cars and selling them into Malta. The Maltese would not look at a car with 50k on the clock, and it took me a while to understand why. Their roads are so clogged, that after 50k miles of low gear, stop/start, braking, revving, clutch abuse work, their cars are shot.

Now they have seen the light, and accept imported cars with higher miles from less congested countries.

Horses for courses.

You can get an oil and filter change done on a 1.2 on a low mileage service from a Fiat dealer for less than £90, I know, because I've done it. It very much depends on how good your negotiating skills are I'm afraid. I actually paid just under £85 when I had the first service done on our old POP.

Whilst £90ish is still a lot of money for first low mileage service, we need to remember that the dealer should check for any recall work and it is an opportunity to sort out any warranty stuff too. Yes, we all know any VAT garage can do the service, but I'd still be inclined to have a first dealer service anyway. If anything, you'll have a genuine Fiat stamp in the service log.

I wouldn't bother putting any marks on your oil filter, it would be a very poor franchise dealership that doesn't change the filter and to be honest if they got caught doing that, the shame and humiliation of being outed would be damaging.

Well, it's in there right now being poked and prodded, so we shall see what transpires. It's a 500S TA, and I had a few things I wanted them to check out at the same time (they also notified me about the recall for the steering column wiring) which include vibs through the wheel above 70mph, and some loose stitching on the drivers seat below the handle (the tech ooh'ah'd at this one, something about checking its covered by warranty).
Another issue, a sort of electric interference noise from the Air-Con I've only had a few times in a whole year I don't expect them to reproduce..

I've got a 1.2 POP whilst it's in...not really liking the throttle response at all on the Petrol.

I, for one, do not believe we should have annual inspections in Vic. See; http://monash.edu/news/show/mandatory-vehicle-inspections-are-they-worth-it

In any case such inspections are confined to safety issues; tyres, brakes, lights etc. not servicing. If I'm incorrect perhaps someone from NSW can advise.

My second post on this particular part of the forum. I normally reside in classic 500.

I got a letter from the dealership today to remind us that our 2011 Lounge is due its annual service. It has managed to clock up 7000 miles in 3 years, so first had a low mileage, then a full one last year, so is due a low mileage service this time around. I phoned the dealer to get the cost of the service £220.00, so I said what's that for it seems expensive? Oil filter, oil and a pollen filter.:eek: I said are you having a laugh, I could swear it was about £80.00 last time??? How longs does take to do? I said a couple hours if I remember rightly, no not even that long sir about 90 mins. So why is it so expensive if it isn't manhour costs, it's just the set price sir.

So he said let me check if we can do a promotional service? Whatever that is? £180.00 what's included in that? Oil filter and oil change. Oh and a safety test.

So I said ok thanks and bye!!!!

I have just bought all the bits I need on-line for £32.00.

Back