Technical Selespeed fault

Currently reading:
Technical Selespeed fault

been happening for a few weeks now and just got paid today so I can afford to have a look and maybe getting it fixed..

anyway situation, gearbox fault appears when driving normally and sometimes when changing gears (happened about 10 times on way home) the car will not change up gears but will change down.

when stationary the car will go from 1st to 2nd like it should do.

the gear changes have been very jerky recently.

it appears most of the time when I take my foot off the gas either during a gear change or whilst still in a gear.

oh and one thing it did today which it has never done before is there was no power and I mean nothing, foot flat down on floor and the revs didn't build up, the car just started to slow down gradually. (only happened for a few seconds)

only 2 things I can think is a faulty sensor or maybe brake switch :chin:

gonna try and get it hooked up to examiner this weekend to find any fault codes, but it's already been on examiner for a recalibration whilst the fault has appeared and there were no fault codes stored.

oh and the fault goes after a few seconds like they normally do.

hmmmmmm

Last edited:
been happening for a few weeks now and just got paid today so I can afford to have a look and maybe getting it fixed..

anyway situation, gearbox fault appears when driving normally and sometimes when changing gears (happened about 10 times on way home) the car will not change up gears but will change down.

when stationary the car will go from 1st to 2nd like it should do.

the gear changes have been very jerky recently.

it appears most of the time when I take my foot off the gas either during a gear change or whilst still in a gear.

oh and one thing it did today which it has never done before is there was no power and I mean nothing, foot flat down on floor and the revs didn't build up, the car just started to slow down gradually. (only happened for a few seconds)

only 2 things I can think is a faulty sensor or maybe brake switch :chin:

gonna try and get it hooked up to examiner this weekend to find any fault codes, but it's already been on examiner for a recalibration whilst the fault has appeared and there were no fault codes stored.

oh and the fault goes after a few seconds like they normally do.

hmmmmmm

Hi Dan. Sorry to hear about your Selespeed playing up. :(

Like you've said, it can only really be two things, either a gearbox sensor or the brake light. The brake light is easly enough to test yourself but the gearbox sensors can only be read using Examiner. if you're getting a gearbox failure message, then an error code should be logged no matter what.

Have a look at this site to get some ideas about what it could be.

http://homepage.mac.com/paul_denyer/selespeed/

My initial feeling is that you might have a couple of issues... one of which might be an intermittent fault on a sensor or your brake light, the other could be low Selespeed fluid or low Selespeed oil pressure. The oil pressure should be above 40 bar and can be read from Examiner.

Good luck matey! (y)

I had a similar fault on my old Alfa sillyspeed, it was a sensor in the gearbox which sensed the rpm so the ecu could preset the throttle correctly when the next gear was engaged for smooth changes and downshifts. Got this changed for about £100 all in + had the EOL reset done with the examiner too.

Dan

Could be the clutch. Thats how mines been acting and i've been told a new clutch is in order. The problem is nobody wants to touch a semi-auto and the only place who does wants £600

don't see how it can be a new clutch TBH, it's on 33k miles and anything wrong with the clutch shouldn't throw a selespeed fault anyway I would have thought

I'd agree with you there. A clutch going on a Selespeed won't throw up any errors in the Selespeed gearbox. The only things you're going to get when the clutch goes are some jerky gearchanges and the normal clutch slippage. You certainly won't be stopped from changing up a gear, that usually indicates an issue within the gearbox.

Mine does it all the time. Diagnostic readout said it was the clutch slipping but it has done 90k

Last edited:
Back