Technical Seicento cooling and big radiators

Currently reading:
Technical Seicento cooling and big radiators

Robin1600

Okay. Seicento Sporting.

The Seicento DEF runs too hot. Can i get a simple thermostat conversion (without taking 2 or 3 apart!!) which will cool the car "earlier". I do not know what temp a standard Sei thermostat opens but i want it cooler. Its too hot and the fan cuts in and out . The Head gasket/ coolant is fine.

Has anyone added a second radiator/ or replaced with alloy radiator and did it make any difference?.

Has anyone fitted an oil cooler to a SEI / Cinq? Interested in brackets and oil lines that you may have had to make up. Certainly there is loads of room on the nearside for a big cooler and/or second radiator.

I want to get all these things sorted before the 1242 conversion goes in.

Please get back to me. Advice is welcomed.

Cheers Rob

What is the current condition of the radiatior.if its nakered (lots of fins missing) then its cooling abilities will be poor. I have just replaced my old rad with a ally peice but my temp guage doesn't work and never has done whilst i've had it so dont know if its cooler now

AFAIK an alloy radiator is not as good at cooling as a copper radiator. The advantage is that an alloy one last longer and you don't have such a mix of metal that causes premature ageing.

I don't know what DEF is, but there are turbo 1.2's that use a standard size radiator. I think you will be fine as long as its in goood condition, be it copper of alloy.

As for thermostats, there is a big thread on here, there is someone who can get them. I don't know of any available in the uk.

I'm keeping standard rad and thermo for my 16V :D The mpi Sei's have bigger rads than spi sei's and cinq's though!

Kristian

Has anyone added a second radiator/ or replaced with alloy radiator and did it make any difference?.

If I'm not mistaken, the Cinq radiator core already IS alloy. The end reservoir pieces are plastic, but the core definitely looks aluminium to me. It's definitely not made of copper like old style radiators!

Perhaps the only other option is to have a custom built radiator made with a higher capacity core?

Before you do that, try reverse flushing the cooling system. Quite often it will be full of gunk, and doing this and putting in fresh coolant will certainly aid cooling (y)

I'm with Custard on this one. If it's a non-modded Sei, it doesn't need a bigger radiator or a different thermostat, it needs the cooling system sorting. Note that on the MPI Sei the fan is controlled by the ECU not a simple switch on the radiator. If it's simply coming on all the time in slow moving traffic, I'd not worry overmuch. Try flushing it.

For the oil cooler, just ask Think Automotive to replicate invoice number 214476 -- to Aaron Kerr Racing -- and to add product code 626. This will give you a thermostatic take off, swaged stainless hoses and the cooler mounts as well as the cooler.

Think Automotive are on 020 8568 1172. Expect to pay something in excess of £150.

Last edited:
Back