Technical SEI Clutch Cable..

Currently reading:
Technical SEI Clutch Cable..

Been in back of my mind for while since told that Clutch cable weak link with the Sei.. Jumped in me 03 sporting mpi while out at wknd and bang.. Clutch to the floor :eek:.. The metal hook affair end of the cable under dash given way.. Many thanks Mr RAC for the tow.. (y)

Now have the new cable and raring to fit. Lots scary stories of what a nightmare can be to a replace. Dash out etc.. Also told that cable gone for reason (stiff clutch) and new one will immediately do the same?? Car has 60k on the clock and no clutch slip so really not up for new clutch at present time..

Any advice or tips on fitment would be greatly appreciated..

thnx John

Hi

Undo all the dash fasteners think there are six, and wedge the lower passenger side away an extra inch or so from the bulkhead, you then need a pair of long nosed pliers (medium sized), and a bright flash light. The dash should remain in place, just replace the fasteners when finished. The seat removal will make access better

The cable can go even if the clutch has not been heavy but the clutch release bearing set is also at risk at this mileage, replace or expect a second tow from AA. The clutch tends to go bang rather then slipping, or dragging.

Noel

Appreciate the info guys(y).. Going to give the cable a whirl first. Can the clutch itself have stiffened or seized in some way while I have been parked up?? Then when come to put in gear strained the hooked steel cable end as was nice light and shifting fine beforehand??:confused:..

thnx John

I'll admit I'm not familiar with an Sei post-2000 but on earlier cars it was a bit of a no brainer to change the cable provided you don't mind a little contortionism. My best time for doing the job is about 10 minutes and most of that is spent getting the tension right. It did help that I didn't have a wheelarch liner on that side though so no need to even jack the car up!

My own little tip is to wedge something under the clutch pedal while you are initially adjusting the tension, it makes it much, much easier and quicker. It also helps if you have some locking pliers that can grab the cable where it extends from the sleeve to stop the whole lot spinning while doing the adjustment.

Provided you don't live anywhere with lots of hills it is also quite easy to drive the car without the cable - no need for a tow. I drove from Manchester to London (admittedly mostly on motorway) with the cable snapped, it just takes a little practice to get the gear change right as the engine speed makes a big difference.

While doing the job do a quick eyeball check on the plastic quadrant that the cable connects to under the dashboard and the pushrod that goes across the cabin from the pedal - both of these can fail as well although much less likely.

10 mins to fit Clutch cable some going. Respect :slayer:.. Had bit sunshine here today so was able to fit the new cable. Took approx 1 hour but did jack up Sei and remove nearside front wheel for easier access.. Maybe psychological but does now feel lighter Clutch action :)

Thanks once again to all..

John

Back