General sedici in snow ice

Currently reading:
General sedici in snow ice

Just to revive this for this Winter........The Sedici is still bloody brilliant in the snow! (y) (y) (y)

Yeah i'll second that (or however many times it's been said)!

ABS barely kicks in on snow and ice and haven't had any problems getting up any hills (there are quite a few in Bath)!

Also like being able to flick the back out a bit on some of the quiet rural roads, a nice little 'feature'! Very controllable!

This is mine in the work car park earlier in the year.

Attachments

• SI851781.JPG
    SI851781.JPG
    230.4 KB · Views: 86
Nice place of work CMM (y)

Heres ours awaiting the next adventure.......and someone else obviously enjoys them in the snow...

Attachments

• Photo-0032.jpg
    Photo-0032.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 74
  • 100005eve-2.jpg
    100005eve-2.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
As I said last year ours was great, we've now switched to Snowtrac 3's on the front and the damn thing will just go anywhere!!!

I love this little car... wife now thinks I blew far too much on the Audi for no reason.... she's possibly right!... not that I'd ever admit that :D

Hi, I brought a used sedici in june and as i live in the south west, we had several inches of snow and deep ice on roads for a couple of weeks. I dont like driving on ice, but decided i had to brave it. i live in a village with steep back roads to the main road- a few parts of the lanes were gritted, but not all.
Outcome was that I didnt crash, didnt slide much, found it easy to let the clutch do the driving and built up my confidence in as much as we went out for xmas dinner and returned at minus 6, without a hitch.
I know of other 4x4 drivers who slid down a hill and crashed, so i think the sedici did very well with its 4x4 function.
i am glad i brought it [although it seems there is a problem with the catalytic converter which is going to cost around 700 to fix, and the car only has 31000 on the clock, but thats a different story]

I found my 1.6 pertrol very good in the snow. I live in a flat so all cars are parked on the road. It came in handy for moving the first two feet as most people had to dig their cars out! My Sedici was sitting for weeks under the snow and got out no problem with no digging.

Only prob I have encountered is the MPG gauge has broken (the average mode never worked) completely. Also, as much as I try, I struggle to get much more that 30mpg. Good buy though, got a 3 yr old in 2009 for about £5k from dealer.

Last edited:
newish Sedici owner here ('57 1.6 petrol).
Can anyone comment on how the car performs on snow/ice with standard tyres fitted. (hoping to avoid the hassle of getting winter tyres fitted)

i use standard budget tyres in snow, so assuming it's 4x4, i would try them for starters. I had it up a Perthshire hillside in the snow and it was fine, plus i got it out no prob when it was buried after weeks of snow on the road without any digging. for me snow tyres seem a bit pointless but i might not say that if i get stuck this yr!

I would think 2wd cars that do badly in snow might benefit from snow tyres, but i'd hope the 4x4 alone would suffice.

N.

Last edited:
Yes it's 4x4. I'm further North than Perthshire (quite a lot af Sedicis & SX4's up here) but based on your advice will see how it goes with the standard tyres. I suppose I can always get rodgered for a set of winter tyres in January if it's not working out.

I live in the Pennies in Weardale and I didn't miss one days work last year in all the snow (traveling to Durham each day). I was driving on mostly B and C roads some of them un-gritted when they started to run out of grit and my Sedici never put a foot wrong. It just has the normal tyres on.

It was most obvious to me in the staff car park where folks were having to dig themselves in on a morning and out on an evening while I was able to drive in and out with no problem. heehee!

The Auto button was on constant for about three weeks :D I loved that button.

I haven't managed to get myself stuck yet! In snow I run normal all weather tyres in 4x4 lock. Climbs, stops and corners well. I've towed other cars out of trouble as well. I always keep a bungee tow rope in the boot.

As long as you've got some tread you'll be fine!

I've probably uploaded this before, but here's mine in my company car park early morning from the snow back in Jan 2010. Only two others made it in.

Attachments

• SI851781.JPG
    SI851781.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 46
Reactions: 50p
The 4x4 will get you moving but winter tyres make a bigger difference overall. You will be able to steer, accelerate and brake better with the correct tyres on the car.

Plus, you'll not be using your summer tyres while you have winter tyres on - so it's not a false ecconomy.

Depends how much driving one's doing I suppose. There's never more than a few weeks of serious snow. Presumably there is the expense of the buying then changing tyres and then back again.

I've had my 06 plate since May '09 and think I've only had to buy two tyres at £60 each and that was last month.

Well we've had proper snow up here in the Highlands, for the first time this winter, this week so my first experience of driving the Sedici (1.6 petrol 4x4 standard tyres) in crappy conditions and have to say so far so good. No bother climbing or descending the snow covered hill I live half way up. (y)

Back