Seats getting grubby - suggestions please

Currently reading:
Seats getting grubby - suggestions please

Not wanting to hijack the thread, or start another, but I have a seat cleaning question too.

Yesterday was a pretty icy morning, so I got the deicer (spray gun type) out of the boot, sat in the car to start the engine, then got out and de-iced like a demon.

When I started the car, I placed the deicer on the passeneger seat for a few seconds. During this time, it seems to have dripped onto the silver part of my standard sport seat.

About 9 hours later, when I got out of work, I noticed the mark on the seat. I gave it a good going over with a damp cloth when I got home, but I worry that its still going to leave a stain. I wont be able to see if the cleaning effort has worked until monday morning. Any advice?

Off topic a bit but noticed you said you used De-icer spray .... i always thought it damaged the paintwork if it got on it so i'm out there scraping away every morning instead .... is it okay to use then??? thanks.

Yep, my main supplier.

The Eze Detail Brush is excellent, there is also the Vikan Extra Long wheel brush, use it with some Bilberrry wheel cleaner diluted at a ratio of 4:1 water/Bilberry so 1 litre makes 5 litres!!!!!!

On the wheel faces I use these 1" round detail brushes.

After they have been cleaned, get some wheel sealant on there. I use Smart Wax Rim Wax, this place has it possibly the cheapest I've seen anywhere.

Just waiting for Barry to pop up and mention his horse hoof brush for a quid.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
.... sorry to be a stickler but also on the environment too. And it is really bad to use on cars - I have had a big problem on one of mine about 6 years ago!

I did I mention that its now only 16 DAYS TO GO NOW BEFORE I GET MY NEW CAR!!!! I bet I have been doing everyone heads in now!
I am sooooooo excited. Just thought I would tell you all again! x

I NEVER use de-icer. It does have long term negative effects on car paint.

To be honest, I've not used de-icer for years. My Focus had a heated windscreen, so I didnt really need to do the de-icing thing. For some reason, the side windows didnt ice up so much.

I dont have that feature (obviously) with the 500, and the windscreen blowers dont heat up for ages. So I got some de-icer over Xmas. I went for the spray gun, as I can use as little as possible that way. I dont like the cans.

Any suggestions on what to use instead Mark? I didnt think a scraper was a better alternative in case it scratched the screen?

Any suggestions on what to use instead Mark? I didnt think a scraper was a better alternative in case it scratched the screen?

It's inlikely to scratch the screen as the glass is way harger than the plastic scraper.

Halfords had a really good scraper in that had a slightly softer blade, the blade had the facility to remove & turn it, up to 4 times, so as it wore due to being soft you just turn in over.

Back