Seats getting grubby - suggestions please

Currently reading:
Seats getting grubby - suggestions please

baxwalker

500 - It wrecks your hair
I've now covered around 6500 miles and have noticed that the driver's seat (black/white check) is showing the first signs of getting grubby.

I would apreciate any suggestions of best way to clean and recommended cleaning liquids.

( I know I should buy some covers - but I like the car in it's natural nakedness - if you know what I mean!)

Hi there,
If it was me, I would get it cleaned ASAP using something quite gentle or get it valeted but also get some scotchguard spray and protect it again. I think it lasts for about 5 months?
Good luck.

Get yourself a cheap Vax wet & dry vac. I use the V-020 which is great and I find it very usefull around the house too.

Just water normally does the trick, then get some 303 Fabric protector on them.

At worst some fabric cleaner some like Chemical Guys Fabric Clean is excellent & will not damage the seats.

I could always take a look at them at the IOW meet, I can squeeze the Vax in somehow I'm sure.

Last edited:
Not wanting to hijack the thread, or start another, but I have a seat cleaning question too.

Yesterday was a pretty icy morning, so I got the deicer (spray gun type) out of the boot, sat in the car to start the engine, then got out and de-iced like a demon.

When I started the car, I placed the deicer on the passeneger seat for a few seconds. During this time, it seems to have dripped onto the silver part of my standard sport seat.

About 9 hours later, when I got out of work, I noticed the mark on the seat. I gave it a good going over with a damp cloth when I got home, but I worry that its still going to leave a stain. I wont be able to see if the cleaning effort has worked until monday morning. Any advice?

Mine have water marks occasionally.. like there's a leak, but there never is!

If you don't have a wet vac then a simply spray on product such as the Chemical Guys one Mark mentioned, or my personal choice is Autoglym Fabric Cleaner, should do the job. Simply spray it on until the seat is damp, then agitate with a brush and leave to dry. Simple method but it's got all of the stains out of my seats no problems. (y)

I do have to mention though that if you buy scotch guard it does last for a while and once your seats become grotty again, you can clean and spray again - looking like new. OR just don't let anyone dirty in your car!!!!!!

Yep, my main supplier.

The Eze Detail Brush is excellent, there is also the Vikan Extra Long wheel brush, use it with some Bilberrry wheel cleaner diluted at a ratio of 4:1 water/Bilberry so 1 litre makes 5 litres!!!!!!

On the wheel faces I use these 1" round detail brushes.

After they have been cleaned, get some wheel sealant on there. I use Smart Wax Rim Wax, this place has it possibly the cheapest I've seen anywhere.

Last edited:
Back