Technical Sat dish return & 12v to fridge issues

Currently reading:
Technical Sat dish return & 12v to fridge issues

Wertyu123

Hello all I need some help. I have a fiat ducato 3.0 /swift kontiki 679 camper.. Recently my sat dish has stopped retracting automatically & there's no longer a 12v supply to the fridge whist driving.. Ive checked shitloads of fuses.. Im assuming its a relay problem but don't know where to find the culprit.. Please help yrs sincerly Tim

Do not have a camper van but I tow a caravan so systems are similar but not identical

In a caravan you have TWO 12V power feeds from the tow vehicle. One is a permanent +12V also used for caravan battery charging and the other is a switch 12V feed that is only active when the engine is running/ignition turned on.

The switch feed is to power heavy consumers, like the fridge (10Amps). The no switched feed in a camper van case will power simpler stuff like lighting and water pump. Stuff you would use in a layby and not attached to an electric hook-up.

Both of your problems (fridge not working and sat dish not retracting) indicated that the engine running/ignition on signal is either not getting to your power control unit OR the power control unit is not functioning correctly.

All I can suggest is that you find your power control unit(s) make a note of their model numbers etc. and then web search for them and wiring details.

Most if not all of the fuses you have checked are "after" the problem.

You will likely have a relay in the engine compartment the takes a single from the alternator when the engine is running that will switch on the relay to provide power to the fridge and and satalite dish it may also be around van side fuse box or possibly the door Pilar area.

You will likely have a relay in the engine compartment the takes a single from the alternator when the engine is running that will switch on the relay to provide power to the fridge and and satalite dish it may also be around van side fuse box or possibly the door Pilar area.
I agree but I've no way to know which relay is causing the issue.. Hoping someone has experience with this & can tell me which on to replace

I agree but I've no way to know which relay is causing the issue.. Hoping someone has experience with this & can tell me which on to replace
Look in the engine for anything that doesn't look factory they are often just stuck anywhere by the converter. Your very unlikely to get anybody on here who has the same motohome as you

You are probably having to do this the hard way.

The base vehicle before conversion will have come with Fiat Professional Ducato wiring. Depending on the model and specification ordered (short wheel base, long, cab & chassis, flat bed, tipper, etc.) then additional electrical connections etc. may have been included ready for the converter to connect to.

If I were you I would be looking at the camper's consumer / power unit for make and model numbers etc. This (if you can find info on the web/elsewhere/handbook) will tell you what functions the consumer/power unit has. For example some have integrated automatic switching for the fridge and other items. Key here is to get a basic understanding of what you have.

Now the hard part. You have to follow all the cables coming from the consumer/power unit. Taking the cover off will help eliminated by sight those "output" feeds to lights, water pump, 12V sockets etc. The BIG / CHUNKY cables will almost certainly be main 12V power feeds. Follow where these go. They will be taped or in trunking and hopefully not obviously associated with the base vehicles wiring.

If you have a volt meter and are competent in using it then you can find the various permanent and switched 12V wires.

Back