General Rustoration

Currently reading:
General Rustoration

Morning. I’ve finally got round to posting an update on Manda, my Panda Selecta.

Unfortunately, she spectacularly failed her MOT due to rust in all the usual Panda places. The ultimate insult was the rear seatbelt becoming detached from the rear wheel arch when tested! On the plus side, her emissions were lower than my 2018 Fiat 500 and all the other mechanics were good.

As you may know, she was my first Panda which I owned back in 2004 and subsequently sold - and immediately regretted the sale, so I bought an identical one a short time later. Roll forward some 14 years and I was lucky enough to be able to buy her back from the lady I sold her too, as a project. I have always had a Panda since my first one, and on occasions owned a trio of them. If you check out my gallery you will see the dozen or so Panda’s I’ve consecutively owned.

She had never had any advisories for rust, other than one in 2010. The underseal was the original, as was the paint. Unfortunately there was nothing in the middle! As the previous owner only covered a few hundred miles a year I suspect the previous MOT’s were merely a glance over her and a pass given each year.

So, the decision was made to bite the bullet and have all the rust cut out and new metal pieces fabricated and replaced, along with new sills on both sides. I’m sure a lot of non Panda people wouldn’t have gone to the effort and would have just sent her to the great scrapyard in the sky, but you all know how these little cars get under your skin and the Panda Virus is difficult to shift one you catch it 🤣

Luckily I have a very understanding local independent garage who have been happy to take this on as a project (they are in to their classics) and work on it when they have had spare time, which has kept the costs down significantly and I have helped where I can.

Manda is now at the point where all her rust is gone, new metal added, new sills fitted, along with new mountings for the seatbelts. Her interior is back in, fuel tank is back on and she now moves under her own steam after 16 months of being in bits (literally)

I’m looking to have her MOT’d in the next month and finally be back using her as my daily.

Now for the scary part and those of a nervous disposition may want to look away now, as I’ve added some pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_2676.jpeg
    IMG_2676.jpeg
    928.2 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_3118.jpeg
    IMG_3118.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 82
  • IMG_3119.jpeg
    IMG_3119.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 75
  • IMG_3120.jpeg
    IMG_3120.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 79
  • IMG_3121.jpeg
    IMG_3121.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 81
  • IMG_3122.jpeg
    IMG_3122.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 81
  • IMG_3182.jpeg
    IMG_3182.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_3183.jpeg
    IMG_3183.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_3184.jpeg
    IMG_3184.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 79
  • IMG_3431.jpeg
    IMG_3431.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 82
  • IMG_3440.jpeg
    IMG_3440.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 75
  • IMG_3673.jpeg
    IMG_3673.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 81
  • IMG_3932.jpeg
    IMG_3932.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Great looking car and all the welding etc looks professionally done. I noticed on the first photo that you are on the coast, is that the reason the rust was so bad do you think.
Yes, he’s done a great job with the welding.

Manda lived in South London when I owned her previously and next to the Olympic Park in East London for the next 14 years till I bought her back. She’s only been in Hastings for 2 years, so I think the rust was already there. I've recently bought a garage locally for when I get her back on the road.

I use this sprayer with a mix of old engine oil and paraffin 1 part oil 2 part paraffin on the underbody keeping away from anything rubber,bushes etc once a year when servicing.
Mine's a Mk 3 which I'm told has a galvanized body but the sprays particularly good for the suspension springs axle beam etc. As you probably know the Mk 3 has wheel arch liners I'm not sure if yours does so I took them off when I bought the car 3 years ago and did under there.
You could probably get something similar on eBay. It certainly wouldn't do your car any harm to do this once a year.

Attachments

• 20230901_111923.jpg
    20230901_111923.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 32
  • 20230901_111932.jpg
    20230901_111932.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 29
Great minds think alike. I was up at the garage today and before I could suggest what you’d said, he said he was going to spray the whole underside with an oily paraffin mix to help protect her. There was a small bit of corrosion/dirt/oil on the rear brake pipes too, so as the fuel tank was out during welding, they‘ve been replaced as well.

My previous MK3 Active‘s always used to receive annual attention on the rear axle and cups.
A rub down with a wire brush and a good coat of Hammerite. I do the same with my sister in laws MK3 as well.

I think Manda only has front wheel arch liners and as they are off at the moment the arches will get some protection too. 👍🏼

Morning. I’ve finally got round to posting an update on Manda, my Panda Selecta.

Unfortunately, she spectacularly failed her MOT due to rust in all the usual Panda places. The ultimate insult was the rear seatbelt becoming detached from the rear wheel arch when tested! On the plus side, her emissions were lower than my 2018 Fiat 500 and all the other mechanics were good.

As you may know, she was my first Panda which I owned back in 2004 and subsequently sold - and immediately regretted the sale, so I bought an identical one a short time later. Roll forward some 14 years and I was lucky enough to be able to buy her back from the lady I sold her too, as a project. I have always had a Panda since my first one, and on occasions owned a trio of them. If you check out my gallery you will see the dozen or so Panda’s I’ve consecutively owned.

She had never had any advisories for rust, other than one in 2010. The underseal was the original, as was the paint. Unfortunately there was nothing in the middle! As the previous owner only covered a few hundred miles a year I suspect the previous MOT’s were merely a glance over her and a pass given each year.

So, the decision was made to bite the bullet and have all the rust cut out and new metal pieces fabricated and replaced, along with new sills on both sides. I’m sure a lot of non Panda people wouldn’t have gone to the effort and would have just sent her to the great scrapyard in the sky, but you all know how these little cars get under your skin and the Panda Virus is difficult to shift one you catch it 🤣

Luckily I have a very understanding local independent garage who have been happy to take this on as a project (they are in to their classics) and work on it when they have had spare time, which has kept the costs down significantly and I have helped where I can.

Manda is now at the point where all her rust is gone, new metal added, new sills fitted, along with new mountings for the seatbelts. Her interior is back in, fuel tank is back on and she now moves under her own steam after 16 months of being in bits (literally)

I’m looking to have her MOT’d in the next month and finally be back using her as my daily.

Now for the scary part and those of a nervous disposition may want to look away now, as I’ve added some pictures.

Hi, What MiG machine do you use?

Regards.

So, MOT booked for Friday. Every job on fail sheet and advisories all attended to. She will need a good clean and polish once home, it’s been 18 months !

In anticipation I present this :

In a cozy garage down Hastings way.
A Fiat Panda Selecta sat in disarray,
Covered in dust, forgotten and forlorn,
But little did she know, a Christmas miracle would be born.

The Fiat Panda Selecta, a classic delight,
Restored with love, shining in the Christmas night,
With every wrench and polish, she came alive,
Bringing joy and wonder, as she took her first drive.

With skilled hands and tender care,
The mechanics worked, their passion rare,
Her engine, already smooth as a song,
New metal now back, where rust had once gone.

Her interior, nicely worn.
Now adorned with new mats, so cozy and warm,
A festive touch, a Christmas tree on her dash,
As the Selecta's restoration reached her crescendo clash.

The day arrived, the snowflakes fell,
As the Selecta emerged, restored so well,
With headlights gleaming, she roared to life,
A symbol of hope, banishing all strife.

Now, as Christmas carols fill the air,
The Fiat Panda Selecta proudly bears,
a tale of restoration, love, and cheer,
A reminder that miracles can happen, any time of year.

Attachments

• IMG_4845.jpeg
    IMG_4845.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4846.jpeg
    IMG_4846.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4844.jpeg
    IMG_4844.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4843.jpeg
    IMG_4843.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 31
Thankyou. Typically, I have a last minute problem with a brake light not working but should be able to sort that tomorrow morning. As per usual, it was fine a couple of weeks ago !

She should be running about for a good few years yet, and since most parts (up to and including some floor) have either been replaced or refurbished, I can concentrate on smaller jobs on her.

Back