General Running Costs

Currently reading:
General Running Costs

If you want fun get a 1.4 to 7000 rpm. The TA's engine would have blown by that rpm if the ecu let it rev freely.

On the manual 1.4 I didn't see the point in going past 6000 rpm. With the 6 speed gearbox you could stay in the 4k-6k. Might be different on the Dualogic since it only has 5 gears.

I see the ta as the abarth without the running costs :)

Checked out fleet news (sponsored by Seat) and the running costs over 4 years & 40k miles for a TA lounge was 34p per mile compared with 42p on a A500. Difference in running costs was 21%. One of the pluses of a TA over a 1.2 / A500 is that the cambelt does not need to be changed at 72k miles or 4/5 years.

How do you know? Have you attempted to run it at that speed and seen problems? Whilst, as standard, it's not tuned (valve timing) to run at that speed, there's probably no issue with it doing so.

Yeah i was just saying that fuel cutoff is at 6000 on the ta while 1.4 is at around 7500.

Ahh but soooo much fun :D

The chassis is appalling though, i took my 500 for he same drive as i did with our Subaru yesterday and it was appalling, it was horrible and almost dangerous compared to a car with suspension which is nearly 20 years old aside from the bushes on the front. It was woeful in the extreme.

The chassis is appalling though, i took my 500 for he same drive as i did with our Subaru yesterday and it was appalling, it was horrible and almost dangerous compared to a car with suspension which is nearly 20 years old aside from the bushes on the front. It was woeful in the extreme.

agree with this, our rav4 2002 handles better, but the 500 has an almost dangerous adrenaline ride when pushed. A 200bhp 4x4 500 with a decent chassis would do nicely (minus the crap plastics)

Out of curiosity how come you bought another Subaru ?

Last edited:
Bit like trading in a 1.2 or TA for an Abarth, eh? ;)

do you mean 1.2 to TA and TA to Abarth ?

I have not driven the 1.2 but from what I hear it sits between the eco/turbo settings on the TA. The test drive in the Abarth was nothing special and not worth trading up from a TA, but the Abarth looks much much better.

Why not fix it then? Stiffer rear sway bar, caster bushes, dial in some appropriate camber and toe settings if you're not ready for coil overs yet. I'm going to get a full alignment done soon, UFI is my first FWD but for what it is, I can't complain (in the dry).

do you mean 1.2 to TA and TA to Abarth ?

I have not driven the 1.2 but from what I hear it sits between the eco/turbo settings on the TA. The test drive in the Abarth was nothing special and not worth trading up from a TA, but the Abarth looks much much better.

If I had a 1.2, I wouldn't trade for a TA as although the TA is a good laugh to drive, it's not *so* different. I haven't driven an Abarth, and can imagine it's a good drive, but it's too expensive for what it is, and I certainly wouldn't sell my TA to get one.

There's a good range of cars for people to step into at every point of the range, and I guess that's the point I made :)

agree with this, our rav4 2002 handles better, but the 500 has an almost dangerous adrenaline ride when pushed. A 200bhp 4x4 500 with a decent chassis would do nicely (minus the crap plastics)

Out of curiosity how come you bought another Subaru ?

Bought it for parts for the other one.

The road i was on is a stage of the world rally championship (have a look at marine drive in Llandudno on google maps) and it's narrow and very challenging, the 500 is on winters and would be a bit better on summers, but my god it was actually scary to drive. The Subaru on the other hand was composed as hell and you could pop it in 3rd and use that initial bit of slightly laggy turbo boost to keep going but not goo too fast as it's a very narrow road.

i was stunned at how bad the 500 was.

Why not fix it then? Stiffer rear sway bar, caster bushes, dial in some appropriate camber and toe settings if you're not ready for coil overs yet. I'm going to get a full alignment done soon, UFI is my first FWD but for what it is, I can't complain (in the dry).

You going to take it to Wilkinsons?

I will fix it one day if i don't buy myself something far more fun to drive. I would have no problem popping an abarth front arb in, he better rear axle and some coilovers.

i should take a video in both cars, the difference was the difference between a Perth summer with 10 days over 40 and a British cold snap. Like i said, on summer tyres the 500 would be better, but this was ridiculous

nice, looks like a road to try... http://goo.gl/maps/mFRrW

We used to live in Liverpool, made a few trips to khlandudknow, happy days on a honda cx500.

Tis a nice road, i realised this morning that it's not a private road as i thought, but it's actually a 30 zone toll road. Oops. Better roads to drive on, but that is a minutes drive from work :)

Tis a nice road, i realised this morning that it's not a private road as i thought, but it's actually a 30 zone toll road. Oops. Better roads to drive on, but that is a minutes drive from work :)
Would be interesting for you to try it if/when you fit the blisteins and Bridge Potenzas with full thread on them.

Speaking about running costs, I just received this in the office for 11 Euros (7 euros + 4 Euros next day delivery).
I need to use one liter of these around once every 3 months in between oil changes!

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    502.4 KB · Views: 19
Back