Rode in a Fiat first time ever!

Currently reading:
Rode in a Fiat first time ever!

CROSSBOLT

Looking for micro mini van in the US only to find the closest Fiat dealer was more than 50 miles away! In the most dangerous city within a thousand miles! Fiat dealer had only one car and that was a 500X or something SUV about the size of a Rover Landcruiser from the 60's. Very nice car with lots of features but no deal was made. Not our fault but the dealer was very creative with numbers! I actually owned and drove a '59 600D in the early 60's. Great very little car!

I am curious about Fiat reliability these days. So I will lurk around here and maybe ask some questions.

My experience has been Fiat are reliable.., They do creditably in the UK JD Power and have been improving. My last 6 ot 8 cars have been Fiats and they are more reliable than the VW Golf I had before. Much more in fact. US products may be different and also built in the Americas so you may not be able to compare completely.

My experience has been Fiat are reliable.., They do creditably in the UK JD Power and have been improving. My last 6 ot 8 cars have been Fiats and they are more reliable than the VW Golf I had before. Much more in fact. US products may be different and also built in the Americas so you may not be able to compare completely.
Built in the US? Where? I looked for that in particular on a search and found Fiat plants nearly in every country BUT here! However, just because I could not find it on a search is meaningless as I am caveman with computer!

Built in the US? Where? I looked for that in particular on a search and found Fiat plants nearly in every country BUT here! However, just because I could not find it on a search is meaningless as I am caveman with computer!
I was thinking Brazil or maybe Mexico rather than USAont think theyve ever built stuff in USA. Specs for many cars are quite different for the US markets including gearing, suspension and such fundamentals as well as trim and materials. My sons Audi was still nice but not as well trimmed as a UK model is. Subtley pared back. I suppose this reflects market values as well as road types and anticipated average milages from one place to another.

Hi and welcome:)

Regarding reliability, I think there are some things FIAT do very well.
They're well-built (contrary to popular opinion, in the British Isles at least)
Maybe their reputation for rust here had got so bad they were forced to do something about it, and made a real effort.
Their four-cylinder engines are tough and efficient, well-proven designs.

But, they are cheap cars built down to a price with some cheap components that can fail with age.
I've replaced sensors, seals, bushes and bearings that I suspect would have lasted longer on something Japanese.
It's OK if you can do your own repairs as parts are cheap, and it's all fairly simple stuff.
I suspect a lot of owners get rid of them as the labour bills for repairs start piling up.
I think this is true of the European built cars anyway, some things may be different with those built in the Americas.

Back