Technical Retaining clips for scuttle panel

Currently reading:
Technical Retaining clips for scuttle panel

Samalex

Hi looking for some info if anyone can help. My daughters scuttle inspection cover is missing the retaining clip and i am not able to find a part number or where to get one can anyone help.

The previous owner just glued them down:bang:
Part B is the one i need (one each side)

Attachments

• 500 clip.jpg
    500 clip.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 436
Hi and welcome, that's not a part available separately, so either see if any ones breaking a car maybe Typecastboy(here) has a old scuttle? Or there's a place on Ebay that may help can't quite remember the name, failing that stick on Velcro pads might work or silicone sealer( normally you won't need to remove the covers )

ok I might just have to resort to velcro or silicon. Once the fiat dealer opens or allows walk in i might try them

Thanks

invariably I get cars with broken or missing ones.

That's understandable. A lot get broken beause people (including some who work in the trade) don't know how to remove the cover plates.

To get them off, curl your fingers behind them and pull them straight forwards, taking care to avoid twisting.

If you twist them, which seems natural and instinctive, one or both parts will be irrevocably damaged.

As with all plastic trim removal, better done on a warm day than a cold one; at this time of year, judicious use of a hairdryer is worthy of consideration.

Once the fiat dealer opens or allows walk in i might try them

I believe the covers are available (at a ridiculous price), but the clips in the scuttle cover are not; you have to buy the cover complete, at an even more ridiculous price.

You could try a breaker, but be aware there's a good chance that any secondhand scuttle cover will already be damaged, so look carefully at the photos and ask the right questions before purchasing.

Once they're a few years old and the plastic has aged and degraded, removal without causing permanent damage becomes less likely.

Probably best to improvise a solution.

Last edited:
That's understandable. A lot get broken beause people (including some who work in the trade) don't know how to remove the cover plates.

To get them off, curl your fingers behind them and pull them straight forwards, taking care to avoid twisting.

If you twist them, which seems natural and instinctive, one or both parts will be irrevocably damaged.

As with all plastic trim removal, better done on a warm day than a cold one; at this time of year, judicious use of a hairdryer is worthy of consideration.

I believe the covers are available (at a ridiculous price), but the clips in the scuttle cover are not; you have to buy the cover complete, at an even more ridiculous price.

You could try a breaker, but be aware there's a good chance that any secondhand scuttle cover will already be damaged, so look carefully at the photos and ask the right questions before purchasing.

Once they're a few years old and the plastic has aged and degraded, removal without causing permanent damage becomes less likely.

Probably best to improvise a solution.

I have bonded several of those back together with pound shop 2 part glue. Seems to stand up to repeated removal (I’ve tried).

I already have the new scuttle covers thinking they may have come with the clips but sadly they didnt looks more likely to be some sort of glue or DIY clips of some sort when the weather gets better and warmer :)

After one cover pin was broken on my wife's 500 I refitted it with two-part epoxy and it lasted well, but removing the cover was a delicate operation after that. I had in mind to fix it with self-adhesive magnetic strips but never got round to it before the car was traded.

does anyone know where I could get the little white screw clips that are situated either end of the scuttle? they attach to a screw.... weird design!! or any idea how I could fasten the corner down as mine is loose

Thank you but it’s not the black (screw head) ones I have loads of these … it’s the one that sits at either end (edge) of the scuttle .. they are white and keep the corner edge secure

Thank you but it’s not the black (screw head) ones I have loads of these … it’s the one that sits at either end (edge) of the scuttle .. they are white and keep the corner edge secure

You can't buy them, they come with the complete scuttle(Fiat said) when I broke one of mine, it was the fixing I broke so glued it in place, maybe some sort of rubber that has a hole in it to grab the ribbed post?

You can't buy them, they come with the complete scuttle(Fiat said) when I broke one of mine, it was the fixing I broke so glued it in place, maybe some sort of rubber that has a hole in it to grab the ribbed post?
Isn’t that silly! These pieces are so small and brittle they as we know snap .. ok well at least I know now I’ll have to knock something together thanks John ?

Back