Technical Replacing Suspension

Currently reading:
Technical Replacing Suspension

Other side now done - took half the time as I now know what I'm doing. Only problem I had today was the nut on the top of the strut that keeps the top mount and spring in place was completely ceised. I snapped my 6mm bit on it so took the strut to the local budget who had it off in 2 secs with an airgun ?

Hi Fergie. Did you remove the arms of the wipers and the plastic located on the front, before removing the front shocks?

Last edited:
Nah was no need. Just used decent 19mm spanner. Plenty of room, even with my strut brace.

Would your shocks fit a 1.4 non turbo ? How much you roughly looking for ?

I believe they would. Bilstein B8 part number is 22-158918.

IMG_0799.JPG
IMG_0800.JPG
IMG_0801.JPG

Really as near to £300 as I can get for the pair - they are unused (new).

Just had a crack at replacing the rears. The 19mm bolt attached the the crossmember has seized. Doesn't look like it's been undone in the 7 years. Maybe a job for the garage

My garage did the rears and also previously changed the front springs so mine had all been undone recently.

Could try soaking in WD40 and then a big torque wrench / extending wheel nut socket bar (+ some scaffolding can do the trick). Otherwise gonna need to apply some heat.

Did you go for the koni adjustables for the front? What rear shocks and springs did you choose?

I went for the konis on the front and some B6s on the rear. Keeping the stock sport springs for now.

Just need to try and match the damping on the konis

I found 3/4 stiff matches the B8 rears. I'd be guessing either 1/4 or 1/2 would be ideal.

My set up is almost too stiff, but guess I could always pick up some b6 rears in the future. It's great on a decent road, but do feel the bumps! Hopefully I'll get used to it though.

I removed the scuttle panel to adjust the settings on the road, but might be able to do it on the car intact with a skinny adjustable spanner or a slotted piece of metal.

Sounds good! I'm hoping the standard sport shock combo will be a good intermediate

Looks good! What's the ground clearance like on the plastic undertray?

No problems at all with under tray (though I'm sensible with speed bumps). It's actually the front mud flaps that rub!

You checked the tray is fitted ok? The screws / bolts have a habit of snapping.

Just driven about 40miles down twisty bumpy B roads and the car feels great. It's actually more comfortable and handles a hell of a lot better. So really happy. The only negative is the fact the front shocks have a little chirpy squeak... Any ideas?

Just driven about 40miles down twisty bumpy B roads and the car feels great. It's actually more comfortable and handles a hell of a lot better. So really happy. The only negative is the fact the front shocks have a little chirpy squeak... Any ideas?

I had the same problem. Probably the bearings between the shock and the spring got busted. It usually happens when you use the old bearings and don't pay attention if some of them fall out of their housing.

I had the same problem. Probably the bearings between the shock and the spring got busted. It usually happens when you use the old bearings and don't pay attention if some of them fall out of their housing.

I can't comment on the top mounts / bearings as I replaced mine at the same time as the springs.

Looking at the various threads it could be:

Drop links knackered / not tight enough
Bonnet rubbers - unlikely if wasn't doing it before
Bearings - as said above
Bumpstop sticking to the top mount - fixed with some grease.

Most of the noises seem to be connected with it being wet etc.

Mine is generally quiet, but on the harder setting you can hear it on big bumps. Rear makes the same noises as well. In my case most likely still settling as seemed quieter / lighter steering today.

I made a wee tool tonight so I could adjust the shocks without taking the skittle pan off. Turned them down to 1/2 - quite a difference to the ride and a lot less rattles.

Back