Styling Replacing gear knob?

Currently reading:
Styling Replacing gear knob?

stiloactive

Hello everyone, I am new to this area of the forum so forgive me if this is a common question.

My mum has just bought a 56 plate GP active 1.3 multijet and although it seems like a nice solid little car and is fairly well equipped some parts of it seem a little too basic and I want to upgrade a few things for her. The first thing being the gear lever, so I want to know if the higher spec models come with a smarter looking gear knob? Maybe leather or something with a metal insert? There is no lifting ring on the gear stick which should make things easier and i'm assuming the existing gear knob will just twist off with some brute force.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hello everyone, I am new to this area of the forum so forgive me if this is a common question.

My mum has just bought a 56 plate GP active 1.3 multijet and although it seems like a nice solid little car and is fairly well equipped some parts of it seem a little too basic and I want to upgrade a few things for her. The first thing being the gear lever, so I want to know if the higher spec models come with a smarter looking gear knob? Maybe leather or something with a metal insert? There is no lifting ring on the gear stick which should make things easier and i'm assuming the existing gear knob will just twist off with some brute force.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

i havent seen the gear knobs in the basic models but the one in my GPS is pretty nice, dont think its leather though. Have a look on the bay for a sporting one (y)

I have a 1.2 8v Dynamic, it has a leather gear knob and wheel, here's a pic:

00.jpg

It's just a screw off.
(I think the spring is just to return the lift up reverse mechanism)

Thanks for all your replies. I went in to my local dealers today, it's been five years since I'd been in there but the guy remembered me! Anyway the basic gear knob like the one that's already in the car is £52 and the one from an active sport model is £61! (and I thought Ford parts were expensive!) I remember buying a new one for my Stilo about six years ago because it had got scratched and i'm sure it was only about ten quid.

So I didn't order one, I'll have a look on ebay and see if there is anything suitable. And any suggestions would be welcome.

I have a 1.2 8v Dynamic, it has a leather gear knob and wheel, here's a pic:

View attachment 87910

It's just a screw off.
(I think the spring is just to return the lift up reverse mechanism)

Well today I plucked up the courage and twisted off the gear knob. I was surprised to find a cast aluminium armature underneath it, so I put the rubber cover straight back on again and wondered whether changing it would be a good idea.
Now if i'd taken a pair of pliers to the aluminium bit what are the chances it would've unscrewed like your photo?

Back