Technical Replacement front shock absorbers

Currently reading:
Technical Replacement front shock absorbers

gm6vxb

OK, I might have confused myself (not difficult) but am looking at replacing the front shock absorbers (struts) on my 2007 Ducato X250 motorhome. Probably also fit new springs (another story) and top mounts.
There appear to be two types of strut, Normal, and Heavy, but I have not seen any good information on what the loadings are for the two types.
When I first had the motorhome I had it on a weight bridge so know that the overall front axle load was 1560Kg, and rear 1720Kg. So 780Kg'ish load on each front wheel.
The only information I have found is for some Schutzatz units from Germany with the caviat of 'only up to 1500kg payload Q15'.
Now does that mean each wheel, or overall front axle (2 wheels) loading ?.
Link to the struts via Eplay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/35203583...AAAsObRJr8fPje0LxR3GK%2B%2BdHIg6EszejppDVrmyD

If it is for 'each' wheel then plenty to spare, but if it is for both front wheels then figures are very marginal.
Anyone got a better idea on loadings than I have ?.

Thanks, Martin, GM6VXB

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Hi Martin

I think the payload is what the whole vehicle can carry (think white van), i.e. the gross vehicle weight e.g. 3500 kg minus the unladen weight e.g. 2000 kg gives a payload of 1500 kg.

There seems to be a payload code, e.g. 11Q, 15Q, 17Q which may correspond to 1100, 1500, 1700 kg payloads. I'm guessing but this may be shown on the van documentation or one of the rating plates. Maxi "heavy" chassis may have higher ratings. Different hubs, brakes, struts etc may be fitted to different payload versions, so it may be the physical fitment which is the limitation rather than the load rating of the damper.

Oddly, the handbook also calls the GVW the payload, so there may a language translation effect.

As this is an important thing to get right, please get independent advice !

I always fit Monroe shocks tomy vehicle , the original oem shocks are normally Marelli or Sachs . Bilsein [ pricey ] and KYB are also reputable , the kit you are looking at are probably Chinese no name inferior junk and wont last ...you pays your money and make the choice ...!!!!!!

How many times do you want to do the job ...!!!!!!!

Hi Martin

I think the payload is what the whole vehicle can carry (think white van), i.e. the gross vehicle weight e.g. 3500 kg minus the unladen weight e.g. 2000 kg gives a payload of 1500 kg.

There seems to be a payload code, e.g. 11Q, 15Q, 17Q which may correspond to 1100, 1500, 1700 kg payloads. I'm guessing but this may be shown on the van documentation or one of the rating plates. Maxi "heavy" chassis may have higher ratings. Different hubs, brakes, struts etc may be fitted to different payload versions, so it may be the physical fitment which is the limitation rather than the load rating of the damper.

Oddly, the handbook also calls the GVW the payload, so there may a language translation effect.

As this is an important thing to get right, please get independent advice !
Thanks Anthony,

Had a search through paperwork and on the van but no sign of any 'Q' codes.
Probably the original converters (Chateau motorhomes, (makers of both Homecar and Lunar MH's) had the information but they have long gone bust. And before anyone says speak to Lunar, they did not make motorhomes in 2007 but imported them re-badged from Chateau MH's.

About the only clue is on the V5 document which shows the van as a' Ducato 15 JTD LWB' so maybe the '15' is actually 'Q15'. If this is correct then I know what to go for even though my payload is only 220Kg (3500 minus 3280Kg measured on weighbridge).

The original struts are pretty rusty after 15 years of road/salt spray so no chance of finding a part number on them but will keep looking after I do a cleanup on them.

Unfortunately in NE Scotland there are no good closeby FIAT dealers. Have a very good IVECO dealership close by which is good for engine parts but they cannot help with suspension parts refering me back to FIAT.

Will do more checking before I purchase anything.

Thanks Anthony,

Had a search through paperwork and on the van but no sign of any 'Q' codes.
Probably the original converters (Chateau motorhomes, (makers of both Homecar and Lunar MH's) had the information but they have long gone bust. And before anyone says speak to Lunar, they did not make motorhomes in 2007 but imported them re-badged from Chateau MH's.

About the only clue is on the V5 document which shows the van as a' Ducato 15 JTD LWB' so maybe the '15' is actually 'Q15'. If this is correct then I know what to go for even though my payload is only 220Kg (3500 minus 3280Kg measured on weighbridge).

The original struts are pretty rusty after 15 years of road/salt spray so no chance of finding a part number on them but will keep looking after I do a cleanup on them.

Unfortunately in NE Scotland there are no good closeby FIAT dealers. Have a very good IVECO dealership close by which is good for engine parts but they cannot help with suspension parts refering me back to FIAT.

Will do more checking before I purchase anything.
Maybe should have added that if you look at Ducato 15 shocks they are the wrong type with four bolt fitting rather than the X250 which goes into a hole in the hub.
Why is life never easy !.

Talk to Coastal Motorhomes they will be able to advise yoy on what you have and what your options are. I upgraded my dampers and front springs on my X250 motorhome as I wanted to raise the front to give me more ground clearance, and level the van more.

Talk to Coastal Motorhomes they will be able to advise yoy on what you have and what your options are. I upgraded my dampers and front springs on my X250 motorhome as I wanted to raise the front to give me more ground clearance, and level the van more.
Already have spoken to them and know which struts/ springs etc I need. Want to replace everything as beside being 15 years old (so well past sell by dates !) I have had a strange knocking noise when going over larger bumps (drain covers etc) from the nearside. Been through several MOT's and have also asked the garage to see if they can find anything, but no, and no suggestions as to what the noise is.
To me it sounds like the top bearing failed but no play or movement found, so complete replacement seems the best option.
Not the easiest of jobs to do but home mechanic achievable except for fitting the springs which still scares me after doing several cars wih broken springs.

I swapped mine and found the near side spring wasn’t seated correctly and think that is where my occasional noise was from. As you say do able by a home mechanic but takes some physical force. I found it hard work to push the lower suspension arm down enough to get the bottom ball joint out, and even more difficult to get it back in. Also the complete inner fuse board needs to be removed to do the job which isn’t a job I enjoyed. You will need a good set of spring compressors or if you are changing everything you could take all the new bits to a garage get them to assemble the strut and just swap as a entire item, so save the risky bit of compressing springs. But for me I like to struggle on my own, on the kerbside, swearing, whilst loosing blood 😂😂😂

Back