Technical Replacement Engine Punto 60S

Currently reading:
Technical Replacement Engine Punto 60S

KeithT

The much maligned (not by me) engine in my '98 60S has finally died- noisily! it lasted a further 10,000 miles pretty good if you had seen the state of it when I got it.
I have got a second hand engine from a '99 SX which had power steering, the water pump has 2 extra connections on its side what are they? can I block them up? It looks pretty new be a shame if I can't use it. Any other problems engine looks the same otherwise?

With an unknown engine, I would change the cambelt, tensioner and water-pump anyway. With a standard water pump, problem solved! It should be a cheap job since the engine is out of the vehicle anyway.

Yes I agree but looking on Ebay the new pumps don't include the body part with the extra connections, is there a bypass on the later pump body Haynes mentions this in passing no helpful pictures tho' The part I'm interested in is the bit that the steel pipe connected to the bottom hose is fixed to.

Last edited:
That steel crossover pipe is prone to corrosion and wont the hose from the old engine connect the water (oops, coolant) pump.

Also consider a new radiator not costly on the 1200.

Back