General Replacement 3-button remote

Currently reading:
General Replacement 3-button remote

chrisgedrim

Hi all. My Dad somehow lost my keys whilst I was away on holiday (including house keys, work keys etc :bang:), and so I'm looking to replace my 3-button remote key.

I still have the 'normal' key to unlock the doors and start the car, however the remote is nicer to use.

Any ideas on how much this should cost to replace? Research Nuneaton (my local dealer) quoted £400 inc programming, where as Arnold Clarke Aberdeen (as seen elsewhere on the forum) quoted £170 for the key, then £60 programming.

So, I guess the answers I could do with are:

1) How much is the key?
2) How much should programming be?
3) Can I get the key from one dealer, then get it programmed at a second dealer?

Cheers

Chris

Last edited:
Okay, I've spoken to the local dealer again (different person) and they are now quoting £255.82 in VAT for a new key and retrieving & programming the code. Seems reasonable considering a normal key (from a main dealer) would run to ~£160

How can they get away with charging £160 for a KEY ...??? its just a key ffs... ok its got a chip for the imobiliser ... but thats as technical as it gets .... how does it cost that much .... :bang:

Okay, I've spoken to the local dealer again (different person) and they are now quoting £255.82 in VAT for a new key and retrieving & programming the code. Seems reasonable considering a normal key (from a main dealer) would run to ~£160

coz they are making a big fat profit on it :) Fiat do have a habit of ripping there customer off for example if you buy a egr valve direct from vaxhaul it is £99 but if you go to fiat for the exact same part with matching part numbers it is £150.

Good points, but like I said... Im not paying :)

As for the rip-off prices: I could have purchased a 'normal' key for £8 inc vat...

It's not just Fiat, most manufacturers charge huge amounts for new keys. They hold all the codes and other information in their database so it's take it or leave it. They'll claim it's a security thing.
BMW want £180 for a new key for a Rover 75.

JCW

Back