Technical Repairing shock towers or replacing them?

Currently reading:
Technical Repairing shock towers or replacing them?

SHIfTHEAD

I've been given a 73 that has been damp for quite some time. All the floorpans will need serious work, but my main concern are the shock towers. I've only seen the drivers side so far but there are perforations on both sides of the tower. What I am wondering is, is it possible to cut out the rot and weld caps over the outside of the tower to strengthen them or are they now junk? If they are junk I don't want to spend the time and money on the rest of the sheet metal work the car would need.

Thanks for any advice with this one.

And if the car is doomed to the scrap heap does anyone have a lead on a rust free shell?

It's hard to give any worthwhile advice without pictures but in general anything can be repaired given enough time and effort. I'm assuming you're talking about the front shock towers, access is a big problem!
IIRC there are 5 pressings spotwelded together to form the top wishbone mounting, the suspension spring seat and the upper abutment for the shock (shock tower).IIRC the shock tower is held on at its base by spotwelds, so it's possible to remove the tower and repair off the vehicle but rewelding it into position is difficult because of access. I've repaired this and surrounding areas a long time ago but it wasn't easy, didn't have access to a spotwelder!
It might be possible to remove the dished washer for the shock top rubber bush(4? spotwelds), weld a piece of say 1/8 or 3/16'' flat plate across the shock tower to the adjoining structure, drill a hole for the shock and refit the top washer.
If you already have the car, you could have a go at repairing the shock tower first before tackling the floorpans etc and see how you get on.
Ps these shock tower often gave trouble especially if stiffer/aftermarket shocks were fitted back in the day, often saw them cracked all round the top washer, if you ask around other owners you may get better advice.

Al.

Last edited:
Well the rust is pretty bad on this car. The floorpans are shot front and rear, and some under the rear seat. The main tubes under the doors are rotten up a couple inches. That combined with the towers I decided this was a total loss. I've been cutting off fenders to save them in case I need to repair some sheet metal on another shell I am looking for as a basis for my project. I've got all good drive train, seats, etc. Just need a solid shell now.

Thanks for the insight, I knew it was a big job, but didn't know about some of those details.

Back