Technical Remote locking key 'disabled'

Currently reading:
Technical Remote locking key 'disabled'

Hi all, hey key I always use suddenly stopped (un)locking the car even though they battery was good (and I bought a new one to test). The key works for the immobiliser so I can start the car with it.
My wifes fob still works fully so it must be the fob.
Fiat ECUscan still shows 2 fobs registered, but shows 1 disabled - is this the reason, and how can I enable it?

Thanks

The immobiliser would, and will continue, to work as it's entirely separate from the alarm system.

The immobiliser works a bit like a pet's microchip and is picked up by an antenna in the ignition barrel when you insert the key.

I take it you changed the battery in the key fob? It's no unheard of for them to drop out when the battery is changed. I've not tried it myself but some people report that disconnecting the battery [on the car] for a while resets stuff and it carries on working. Might be worth trying seeing as it's free to give it a go.

Otherwise it's a trip to the dealer to get your key code - if you haven't got it already - and either ask the dealer or a decent auto locksmith to reprogram for you.

Hi all, hey key I always use suddenly stopped (un)locking the car even though they battery was good (and I bought a new one to test). The key works for the immobiliser so I can start the car with it.
My wifes fob still works fully so it must be the fob.
Fiat ECUscan still shows 2 fobs registered, but shows 1 disabled - is this the reason, and how can I enable it?

Thanks

It sounds like the transmitter in the key has failed. They are electronic and it does happen. Often it's a bad solder joint or battery connection. One other possibility is your "new" battery is faulty, not unheard of. If you have a volt meter you can check it. For the flat coin types it should be at least 3V when new. I doubt it is the "disabled" indication in FES, the ECU would not just randomly disable a key.

Robert G8RPI.

Back