General Remap

Currently reading:
General Remap

I didnt use a very good example there what I should have said a car going from 115bhp to 150bhp why the need for uprated brakes. I think Argonaught got it perfectly right who wants to accelerate and brake at the same time.

As Dan has stated, this is the popular view that brakes should be updated to match engine power on the simple premise that if you achieve a high speed quicker then there's a good chance you'll want to slow down more frequently. This obviously makes sense on the race track or rallying but in my view doesn't have much relevance for day-to-day road use.

Indeed I take the view that any unnecessary braking is due to poor driving style (inability to read the road ahead, failing to notice developing dangerous situations, allowing time to slow down, miscalculating entry speeds to bends, lack of caution whilst overtaking and simply using the brakes when you don't even need to). On top of this, any use of the brakes is an absolute killer for fuel economy :(

On the other hand, I don't see that increased power offers anything but an advantage assuming at least there's not a maniac behind the wheel. It can get you past a car or two a lot quicker and provided you don't need to slam on the brakes immediately afterwards (bad driving (n)) then improved braking doesn't become an issue. :)

Yup, I'd go with that (y) If I were back driving on the single track roads I grew up with on the west coast of Scotland then I'd almost certainly have upped the brakes on the car post remap.

However, the flowing roads of NE Scotland (with very few speed cameras :p) afford the opportunity of a more 'flowing' style which is why 'sharp' handling is of more interest to me than big brakes.

The opportunity to use the extra power from the remapped engine is for over-taking which it provides admirably. In reality I very probably don't actually drive much more quickly than I did before, just less hassle getting there... if you follow me :D

..... and I'm still getting 50+ mpg :devil:

Back