Technical red line

Currently reading:
Technical red line

i've fitted a tachometer (rev counter) on my car and after finally getting it working right thanks to some 'interesting wiring' and also setting the number of cylinders to 6!! (before it was reving at well over 8000 rpm!:p ) hmmm 6 cylinder 1.4 formula... interesting anyway. where does the engine red line?, just so i can make some mark on the face of the dial. i do tend to rev the engine a little though and plus if i put a red line mark on it, it'll look a touch more classy:p (y)

what if it's reving upto about 8000rpm? should i be worried? :p

i don't do it often and definitely not when cold but it sounds so good.
You are going over the resonance of the valve springs so they will bounce and cause valve to piston contact, and the pistons will reach there max load and wear rapidly. Basically, each time you max to 8000 revs, you are slowly killing the engine. Add in mileage and wear, and the engine will not last long. Try sticking to 7000 revs as the limit.

Andy.:)

You are going over the resonance of the valve springs so they will bounce and cause valve to piston contact, and the pistons will reach there max load and wear rapidly. Basically, each time you max to 8000 revs, you are slowly killing the engine. Add in mileage and wear, and the engine will not last long. Try sticking to 7000 revs as the limit.

after this mornings performance it deserves to die a slow and painful death!:mad: i ended up late for work as it decided it didn't want to start. just cos of some feckin' rain!!

after this mornings performance it deserves to die a slow and painful death!:mad: i ended up late for work as it decided it didn't want to start. just cos of some feckin' rain!!
Welcome to Italian cars. We love them and hate them in equal measures!!;)

where did you connect the rev counter to on your car, ive been trying 4 ages and the best i can get is half revs :confused:

it's connected into the LT circuit by the distributor. but for some reason the counter has been set for 6 cylinders to get the correct readings. it idles at just under 1000 and usually drives upto 6000 which seems right. so i think i just bought a cheapo one. lol.

power provided via the fan wiring so it comes on when the ignition is on, the 'memory' wire for the coloured backlight is wired into the radio wiring. and earth is on the radio earth again. think that's it.

what engine you got? and also carb/spi?

does your rev counter have a switch for different number of cylinders?

Back