General Red Key Snapped!!!

Currently reading:
General Red Key Snapped!!!

tripletdad

hi any help please my son has just snapped his red key!! he has both bits but fiat say they cant do anything and the repair is more than the cars worth!! we got a new key cut with turns ign on but cant start due to imob,can this be bypassed or what else can be done please help !! this is his first car and his pride and joy!!

Can't think of any reason why you'd need the read key except when trying to get more blkue keys cut.

Just keep the read bit safe and drive as normal.

Liam

hi the engine turns over but wont start and the key light stays on and wont go out!! the new key i have is solid metal so how do i mound the chip? thought about slodering the two keys together but didnt know if heat may damage the chip??

right lets confirm it works.
hold the red key right against the ignition barrel and turn the ignition on with the new key.
code light should go out and see if it starts.
inside the red key is a transponder 'ampule' which is read by an induction loop around the ignition barrel.

*puts on dad voice*
the red key shouldnt have been used in day to day driving let alone enough for it to wear nad snap.
did you have no blue keys?

hi thanks will try when i get home,have spoken to fiat,they said to bring the v5 and broken key and they can get a neww one and two blue ones all soted for @100 expensive lesson for him!!

don't do that. you don't need to. pull the red key to bits, pull a your newly cut key to bits. put the chip from the red key into the new key. sorted. that isn't worth spending £100 on!!

hi only have a solid key now where can i get a new one fron to pull apart??thanks

timpsons.

in fact.. i reckon if you took the red key into Timpsons and asked them to make a copy of it for you. they'd make the complete key for around £20.

or, as has been suggested - if you put the old red key near the ignition barrel then it will pickup the chip and allow the car to start.

or, you could buy a mckrich chip for around £40 which will bypass the imobibliser completly (and make the car more fun to drive).

either way, giving £100 to FIAT is ott.

Why are you starting the car using the red key to begin with?

It is ONLY to be used when programming in additional keys into the system.

Back