General Rear wheel arch cleaning

Currently reading:
General Rear wheel arch cleaning

PandaEleganza

When I wash my Panda I'm pretty thorough about cleaning inside the wheelarches, but have noticed in recent months that there is a quantity of mud and grot getting stuck in the rear arches. I do my best to blast and brush this away, but I know I'm not getting it all. The main area seems to be the 'lip' just on the inside of the arch itself. There's also quite a deep area inside the arch reaching up towards the windows.

As the Panda is galvanised I assume that I don't need to worry too much about getting this area spotless, but I wondered whether anyone has any good tips for cleaning these arches, and perhaps whether (if I can get them properly clean) I should apply a bit of waxoyl (or similar - I favour the Bilt Hamber products).

I wouldn't have thought that (the waxoyl regime) necessary.

I was more concerned by the neat little box section/dirt container just above and behind the front struts, i like to take all the wheels off twice a year and pressure wash all the nooks and crannies and this 'in-built' rust trap surprised me... i spent about half an hour cleaning all the dirt out of them and then flooded them with wd-40.

WD-40 is not a lasting barrier against corrosion. It dries out fairly quickly and does not leave an adequate protective film.
One of the Schlutz or Waxoyle products made for the job will give much better and longer-lasting protection.
It's a pity to see such good preparation work let down by using a product not meant specifically for the job.

WD-40 is not a lasting barrier against corrosion. It dries out fairly quickly and does not leave an adequate protective film.
One of the Schlutz or Waxoyle products made for the job will give much better and longer-lasting protection.
It's a pity to see such good preparation work let down by using a product not meant specifically for the job.

I agree but it was all I had to hand at the time, i'll do something more permanent before next winter
smile.gif

I reckon the OP is right to worry about muck build up in the rear arches.

I use a pressure washer to clean out the rear arches every few years. Put your hand in around the fuel filler pipe, it gets well caked up there.

If you put the jack under (with the wheel still on) and move the car up an inch or two on the suspension this will give a bit more room for cleaning out.

Thick dirt dries out very slowly, so a clean wheel arch should spend less time wet and rust much later on.

You've reminded me to do it again, job best done when it's warm

I reckon the OP is right to worry about muck build up in the rear arches.

I use a pressure washer to clean out the rear arches every few years. Put your hand in around the fuel filler pipe, it gets well caked up there.

If you put the jack under (with the wheel still on) and move the car up an inch or two on the suspension this will give a bit more room for cleaning out.

Thick dirt dries out very slowly, so a clean wheel arch should spend less time wet and rust much later on.

You've reminded me to do it again, job best done when it's warm

That's a good tip re the jack - thanks. I've only had the car a year so am cleaning the mud that got up there courtesy of the previous owner. I couldn't quite believe how deep the wheelarch is...and after several goes at it I am still getting mud out.

I'm sure the days of cars with crusty rear arches as used to be common are probably gone but it does seem to be a vulnerable spot.

I'll also have a look at the water trap at the front that's been mentioned.

Thanks all!

Sorry re broken post - I checked my rear arch and it's all sectioned off with internal plastic arch panels. What is the year of your panda?

Sorry re broken post - I checked my rear arch and it's all sectioned off with internal plastic arch panels. What is the year of your panda?

2010. I can't remember off the top of my head what it looks like in there, but there is a lip inside the actual arch, and then it's possible to put my hand in up to and beyond my wrist on the passenger side at least.

edit: just had a quick look. On the passenger side, it seems to be all metal in there, no plastic liners.

Last edited:
Back