Technical Rear heated screen element

Currently reading:
Technical Rear heated screen element

NigelO

I have no idea why, but since I bought the Panda 4x4 in April, I’ve never used the rear heated screen. I used it yesterday and found that only the top four elements are heating, which is pretty useless.

What are the options? Looks like the glass is bonded to the tailgate, so I’m guessing if it needs replacing, it’s easier to swap out the whole tailgate (is the 4x4 the same as the 2WD?)

I‘m hoping someone will say that the old-fashioned paint-on heater element repair paint will do the job.

Yep tiny crack in the elements

Yep conductive paint

Masking tape helps to make a neat job

I'd hazard a guess someone had too much in the rear and it's scratched it a bit

You can normally see the damage if you inspect carefully without resorting to a multimeter and sharp probes or test light

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply. The car had been used and abused by a previous owner - it had clearly been used to carry lots of stuff in the rear, so I wouldn't be surprised to find the rear screen has been scratched. I'll get myself down to Halfords for some repair paint. I'm guessing that for all but four emlements to be dead, its probably a scratch through the vertical element at the side, rather than a break in all the other individual elements.

Watch this space....

Hmmm - perhaps it won't be Halfords - have you ever seen a more damning set of product reviews?

Last edited:
The repair paint does work, but is very tricky to do well. The brush is massive. Mask the lines well, and if possible, get your own brush, and remove as many bristles as possible. Shake the little pot very well.

Close inspection of the elements will reveal the tiny cracks that need painting over. One situation where painting over the cracks is the right thing to do.

When you buy the stuff, check the expiry date, it is important. It is also quite expensive, so don't buy old stuff.

Back