Technical Rear Brake rotor and pads change

Currently reading:
Technical Rear Brake rotor and pads change

ZacThompson

Hi guys! So I’m in my first brake change, and it appears I need to use a reader to put the fiat into brake maintenance mode. From what I gather from looking around at other threads, and videos, I need to place the car into maintenance mode, then I can undo the EPB actuator, and wind the piston back in with a tool from the back. I then can place the caliper back on the brake pads, and hook back up. Once I am done with both sides, I turn the car on to MAR, engage the EPB and pump the brakes.

Then tires and a test drive. Did I miss anything? Any advice guys?

Hi guys! So I’m in my first brake change, and it appears I need to use a reader to put the fiat into brake maintenance mode. From what I gather from looking around at other threads, and videos, I need to place the car into maintenance mode, then I can undo the EPB actuator, and wind the piston back in with a tool from the back. I then can place the caliper back on the brake pads, and hook back up. Once I am done with both sides, I turn the car on to MAR, engage the EPB and pump the brakes.

Then tires and a test drive. Did I miss anything? Any advice guys?
Hopefully someone can give you specific details for your model.
I just had to fit rear brake pads on my daughters VW Tiguan with EPB. I used a Launch Diagnostic Tool which had a function to retract the EPB when you followed a sequence of instructions, you then wound the piston back in as you would on a manual handbrake caliper, fitted pads, then turned on ignition and told the still plugged in Launch tool to rest the handbrake and all was good.
One thing it did stress was to have battery connected to a small charger whilst doing the whole job as if battery voltage drops you can be in lots of trouble!!! Also I leave a window down in case stupid car decides to lock it'self;)

On the 500X you can release the parking brake without using diagnostic kit. Weather that is enough to allow the calliper to be remove and piston would back I don't know as I've never tried it.

NOTE! If you do release the parking brake then disconnect the battery otherwise it is likely to engage again with any other vehicle electrical activity, e.g. locking the doors.

On the 500X you can release the parking brake without using diagnostic kit. Weather that is enough to allow the calliper to be remove and piston would back I don't know as I've never tried it.

NOTE! If you do release the parking brake then disconnect the battery otherwise it is likely to engage again with any other vehicle electrical activity, e.g. locking the doors.
There does seem to be quite a difference from what I had to do on the VW from what s130 has found?

Thanks! Using the diagnostic kit, once I’ve placed the EPB into maintenance mode, i then disconnect the battery? Then I can work on getting the piston wound back, and put the caliper back on. Then I hook the battery back up, and exit maintenance mode. Am I on the right track?

Thanks! Using the diagnostic kit, once I’ve placed the EPB into maintenance mode, i then disconnect the battery? Then I can work on getting the piston wound back, and put the caliper back on. Then I hook the battery back up, and exit maintenance mode. Am I on the right track?
That is not the way I had to do it on a VW Tiguan using a Launch diagnostic tool, with that tool it was explicit to keep the battery on a charger to prevent voltage drop causing error codes when in the middle of the job, so if you are using a diagnostic tool I would follow the instructions to the letter! See if there is a youTube video using the Diagnostic tool you intend to use.
Is there anyone on the Forum who has changed them on your model recently?

Manually releasing the park brake has to be done for MOTs otherwise they can't spin the wheels to check for play, binding, noisy bearings etc. The info for doing this is in the owner's manual.

I think it is:

Ignition On
Press Brake Pedal
Hold Down Park Brake Button
Keep all held down
Ignition Off

I've done a few cars with electronic handbrakes. Always been the same, handbrake off, do the brakes as normal, pump the pedal a few times to reset them, then put the handbrake on and off a few times.

Audi (VAG) was slightly different, stupid motors on the caliper that needed 12vs on them to wind them back. Same process once done, it had a fit when turning the car on and handbrake errors. handbrake on and off a few times and it was happy.

Nice to know Fiat are less hassle, the daughters VW Tiguan EPB was the first one I have had to deal with, I retired three or four years ago and none of my customers had EPB. I had heard of people applying power to the motor to wind back, but I was not happy doing that and the Launch tool was simple to use as long as you followed it's advice.

mate, changing rotors and pads without software / maintenance modes / whatever is piece of cake
here's my DIY
attached PDF has photos
Thanks, arekp, for posting the detailed guide with pics! I've got a 2017 500X in the USA that has a "Brake Service Mode" which is accessed through the Settings menu in the touch screen. Do you or anyone else have and pointers on whether this needs to be activated before doing this job>

Back