Technical Really bad fuel consumption

Currently reading:
Technical Really bad fuel consumption

Rbropesz

Just brought a fiat grande punto the other day ... i topped up 20 pound of petrol from very low 2days ago ..and the fuel gauge went to just under half way line .. anyway .. i reset the trip computer and their was a range of 185 miles .. i drove 1 mile yesterday and 1 mile today mnd the gauuge dropped to 1 third of the gauge and now the range is showing 115 mils left .. avg mpg is 11.3 :/ and the avg speed is 3 mph wth is going on :( i absolutly love a grande punto always wanted it as my first car

If you've only driven 2 miles since resetting your trip computer then chances are you just need to drive a little further and your average readings will rise so long as you don't thrash it about. It bases your averages on the distance travelled since the trip was reset. What does your instant mpg read?

Right now it says 0.5miles in distance and i reset it like 2 times and i always get the same avg mpg of 11.6

It's normal. You've just gotta let a few miles rack up and the averages will seem more realistic.

To give an example, my 1.9 multijet averages around 44mpg a month and covers just over 420 miles of mostly town and A road driving. Average speed is around 27mph. I reset my trip A on a monthly basis, whenever I refuel. Once this is reset it usually take a good 10 miles or so to see my average mpg return to what I would call an accurate average. I will never reset my trip B as it gives me an idea of longer term figures.

Your average mpg is dictated by the overall range calculated by the computer. It will inevitably lower as you spend more fuel but variables such as distance covered and driving style may cause unusual decrease in range.

Try using your instant mpg function as this will give you a more accurate 'real-time' figure based on speed, fueling parameters and throttle position.

After refueling and resetting my trip A it usually takes a good mile or so to even register an average reading. Not even the instant will work without a few hundred feet of driving.

Ohhh that makes so much sense , thanks for the information i was worried sick to my stomach fort i got ripped of as i just brought the car lol thank you soo much for the info msted89

Back