General Rattling in rear of GP

Currently reading:
General Rattling in rear of GP

Fistral

Morning all,
In the last few weeks there's been a terrible rattling noise from inside the rear of my 57 plate GP. I've checked the rear seating, the boot, and everything else in the back and all seems secure, has anyone else had similar problems? It sounds as if it could be inside the shell of the car which may need some plastic lining to be removed, any ideas?

trim clips can come loose, push around the rear doorcards/seatbelt mounts and make sure they're all clipped in properly

Thanks guys, I've tried the trim and they seem ok but I'll try it again in case I've missed anything. Andy - yes it has only happened since the cold weather, I thought it was the parcel shelf as there were a couple of pads missing but I've replaced them to no avail. Someone mentioneed on a related post that it may be the boot catch becoming loose, anyone else experienced that?

Sorted my punto evo on Friday mine was the rubber suspension cups squeeking against the chassis and rear beam i removed both springs cleaned the rubber cups and landings then applied silicone grease to all mating surfaces (silicone grease is rubber safe)

My gp was the same when i had that

Just need :trolley jack ,axle stands wheel brace and a ratchet with a e19 socket (torx) some water based degreaser and brush

Rear Wheels off car on stands front wheels choked

Release oil on lower shocker bolts

Jack under rear beam to take weight

Undo abs cable from holder on both sides

Remove both shock bolts

Lower jack slowly

Remove springs

Clean & grease rubber cups ( 4x )

And refit

Last edited:
I have something similar - is it an occasional rattle or a constant squeaking which would suggest the rubber bushes.

I get the odd noise like there is a marble loose in the rear quarter panel, sort of noise you get if you drive over some rubble and it gets thrown up by the wheel in the arch.

I expect something is loose behind the rear side panel trim but it looks a nightmare to undo it all :eek:

Make sure you haven't left your wife in the back of the car. I've since obviously sourced the rattling and ensured it doesn't happen again by making sure she's in the boot.

Back