Technical Radio and AC gone

Currently reading:
Technical Radio and AC gone

Do you need help unlocking your radio?
Get your code instantly using our radio unlock service 🔓🎶

Whaley247

On the way home after work yesterday I plugged my I pod into my car as you do. I the noticed that the wirer was getting hotter I thought this was due to the sun and then all of a sudden the lead form the car to the I pod started to smoke so I quickly stop pulled it out and turned off the car. once I started it again the radio and the AC doesn’t turn on at all I can only think that I might of blown a fuse but I don’t know which one or were to look.
if this has happened to anyone else or you might know how I can fix this I would be very grateful thank you

Attachments

• Fuse.JPG
    Fuse.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 40
  • FuseBox.JPG
    FuseBox.JPG
    153.8 KB · Views: 52
There must be an underlying cause for the overload, which needs investigating.

The fault is either in the lead or the iPod., unless of course the car is suddenly providing 240 volts on a usb socket. A new lead is definitely in order, even if it was an iPod fault. If the iPod still works, then logically the fault was in the lead, probably caused by being flexed too much, or pinched.

Attachments

• stock-photo-rotten-apple-103743602.jpg
    stock-photo-rotten-apple-103743602.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 32
Thank you for you help and comments the I pod is still working and the lead seemed to be ok but I have bined it just in case it was that will be having a look at the fuse box tonight once I finish work

Strange, because fuses should not cause faults, or even be the fault. They are there to blow and stop faults from causing greater damage.

A fuse should not cause a cable to 'fry'.

The OP's fuse has done the job it was intended to. Its there to protect the car wiring, not the USB lead.

I have come across several laptop supplies that have developed faults at the plug that connects to the computer. The cable flexes right by the plug, and over time individual wires break, so the current flows through fewer and fewer wires. The resistance of the wire increases, so the wire heats up and melts the insulation, then it shorts out and the fuse blows!

The OP's fuse has done the job it was intended to. Its there to protect the car wiring, not the USB lead.
I'm not disputing that, but - as I said - there is the cause of the USB cable frying. That needs investigating. It does not have to be the USB cable that's faulty.

And why 240 volts? Are Ipod cables rated just under that? I think not. More like 5 volts, 1.5 amps. The cable would fry at waaaaayyyyy less than 240v.

Last edited:
The fuse in question is rated at 10 amps, and thats the continuous current it will carry, not what it takes to blow it. So if the air con and radio are off, then you could have 10 amps going through the iPod lead without blowing the fuse. However, the lead will clearly suffer.

240 volts was not a real suggestion, just a suggestion of something ridiculous that couldn't possibly be the cause.

This happened to me when plugging one into my wall charger. The cable was a non genuine B&M cable. The whole thing overheated in seconds and acted like heat-shrink. Probs from the same cheap supplier?!

Do you need help unlocking your radio?
Get your code instantly using our radio unlock service 🔓🎶
Back