Technical Radiator cap

Currently reading:
Technical Radiator cap

Monkey79

Hi,

Filled my radiator up at the weekend and rather stupidly left the radiator cap sitting somewhere in the engine bay... only just noticed it was missing this morning..... after 200 odd miles without it :S

I've got a 2l bottle of water spare in the car for just such an occasion so I can top it up atleast a bit until I can get it sorted proper but am I likely to do any lasting damage without a radiator cap for a day or two?

Cheers guys :)

you need the pressure in the system really. keep your eyes glued on the temp gauge and don't drive for any length of time really. really the main problem i can think of is possible over heating. though i'm sure someone will know more.

you need the pressure in the system really. keep your eyes glued on the temp gauge and don't drive for any length of time really. really the main problem i can think of is possible over heating. though i'm sure someone will know more.

Cheers! (y)

I've been keeping a spare bottle of water in my car because the radiator seems to be emptying itself of water every few weeks (I should really look into the problem at some point) so I've been keeping more of an eye on the temperature gauge anyway.

Driving an hour to work each way isn't helping matters :bang:

However, on a more positive note... whilst filling up with water last night, I spotted my radiator cap nestled amongst a bunch of cables next to the battery :D hurrah, panic over :)

woohoo!

check to see if the waterpump or pipes are leaking - if not then check the oil cap for mayo as it could be early signs of a head gasket failure.

Cool, shall do (y)

from memory the oil cap is fine, no mayo like substances around so I'll get on and check the water works.. !

Cheers!

Back