General Question about valuation and modifications

Currently reading:
General Question about valuation and modifications

paintedblue

I'm about to take custody of two "classic" Spider project cars, one being a manual transmission 1973 Sport Spider 1600, and the other an automatic transmission 1980 Spider 2000 with removable hardtop. In California our emissions laws are enforced on vehicles newer than 1975. That means to register and license the 1980 Spider I can't do any modifications to the engine/emission systems. However, with the 1973 I could drop a small-block Chevrolet V-8 into the engine bay (if it would fit), and I wouldn't have to worry about emissions testing. With the two cars I received, it appears that the 1973 might have been used for racing before (a roll cage was obviously cut out of it, and there appears to be a line-lock device near the gear shift lever). It is currently missing an intake manifold (and carburetor), and has headers installed on the exhaust side. The 1980 2000 has an intake manifold with a Weber carb, but no exhaust manifold. The guy who sold me the cars suggested that maybe I swap out the "stock" DOHC FIAT engine in the 124 for something more modern and with more horsepower, like a Honda/Acura engine or something of that ilk. Since I don't need to worry about an emissions test for it, I could conceivably do that if I had enough funds and gumption to do it. However, therein lies my question... Would I be taking away any future sales value if I took out the FIAT engine and replaced it with a more powerful Japanese engine? Or, would I actually increase the desirability and therefore value of the car if I did the swap? When I looked on the Bring-A-Trailer website earlier, I saw that the two highest selling prices for FIAT X1/9s were cars that had an Acura engine swap. It surprised me and led to this question.

A secondary question is about the 1980 2000. It currently has an automatic transmission. Most people who buy sports cars seem to like the 5 speed manual transmissions. However, a lot of people these days don't even know how to "drive a stick." Is there a market for the automatic transmission version of the car?

I'm about to take custody of two "classic" Spider project cars, one being a manual transmission 1973 Sport Spider 1600, and the other an automatic transmission 1980 Spider 2000 with removable hardtop. In California our emissions laws are enforced on vehicles newer than 1975. That means to register and license the 1980 Spider I can't do any modifications to the engine/emission systems. However, with the 1973 I could drop a small-block Chevrolet V-8 into the engine bay (if it would fit), and I wouldn't have to worry about emissions testing. With the two cars I received, it appears that the 1973 might have been used for racing before (a roll cage was obviously cut out of it, and there appears to be a line-lock device near the gear shift lever). It is currently missing an intake manifold (and carburetor), and has headers installed on the exhaust side. The 1980 2000 has an intake manifold with a Weber carb, but no exhaust manifold. The guy who sold me the cars suggested that maybe I swap out the "stock" DOHC FIAT engine in the 124 for something more modern and with more horsepower, like a Honda/Acura engine or something of that ilk. Since I don't need to worry about an emissions test for it, I could conceivably do that if I had enough funds and gumption to do it. However, therein lies my question... Would I be taking away any future sales value if I took out the FIAT engine and replaced it with a more powerful Japanese engine? Or, would I actually increase the desirability and therefore value of the car if I did the swap? When I looked on the Bring-A-Trailer website earlier, I saw that the two highest selling prices for FIAT X1/9s were cars that had an Acura engine swap. It surprised me and led to this question.

A secondary question is about the 1980 2000. It currently has an automatic transmission. Most people who buy sports cars seem to like the 5 speed manual transmissions. However, a lot of people these days don't even know how to "drive a stick." Is there a market for the automatic transmission version of the car?
Recently there was a Forum member in the USA looking for advice on fitting the kickdown mount etc. for an automatic conversion if I recall to help his wife, maybe you could get together?
Regarding any massive conversions, my thoughts are if car is in excellent condition generally originality is best, if the car has been previously modified then what ever gives you the most pleasure and helps it become a more usable classic, it's your car so who cares about what other people say.
Many years ago I had a 1947 Karrier Bantam Series 2 Recovery Lorry, I was concerned as it had a later diesel engine fitted, but as a friend who had several classics pointed out, it was so unusual a vehicle few people would know what it should have anyway, unlike any more common classics.
I knew someone who had a Coach Hire company he owned a MK9 Jaguar that he had fitted a lorry engine to and used it to tow race cars.
In the past I had two Humber Super Snipe cars as they ressembled early Checker cabs which I liked the style of, not known for their fuel economy I felt a nice turbo intercooled diesel would have given good performance and economy.

Back