General Qubo vs Nemo vs Bipper

Currently reading:
General Qubo vs Nemo vs Bipper

clockworks

In the past week, I've seen 2 Bippers and 4 Nemos. Not seen another Qubo.
Is it the same in the rest of the country?

Pretty much so by what I see.

But I practically never see any other than the vans. The passenger versions are almost non-existent. I have seen one; a Citroen version I think.

My anecdotal experience, from people at the office, is that they find them odd-looking. And that from a Doblo owner.

For my part I'd say they are too expensive for the small engines on offer, and don't seem to come with sat-navs and other stuff which is rapidly becoming standard. The base version doesn't even have A/C.

I would want sat-nav to replace my much-used old Tomtom, and I'd want a gustier and more economical engine too.

The new Doblo arrives in March; it will be interesting to see how that is priced.

I am also waiting for the new Panda too, but it seems that has been put back to 2011. Pity.

By the end of the year the 500, current Panda and Punto should have the new 0.9 petrol engines. I hope the Qubo will get more modern power plants too. Car sales are going to be down in 2010, and in order to maintain volume Fiat will have to offer improved products.

I also think that the Qubo/Nemo/Bipper looks a bit quirky, but that was one of the reasons why I bought it.
Not sure about the price - what small car can offer more space for less money? I paid £11,400 for my mjet Dynamic in black.
I agree that A/C should be standard in the base model - a more desirable "option" than Blue&Me for many buyers.

I personally don't like built-in Sat Navs - too expensive when new, and too expensive/difficult to upgrade the maps.
The 1.3 mjet is more than adequate for my needs. Sure, I can't overtake like I could with my previous company car ('58 Mazda 6 diesel estate), but it more than keeps up with traffic.
I'm semi-retired (at 52) and I wanted something that was cheap to run. A bigger engine would mean higher insurance and road tax.

It just seems a bit odd that there are more Citroen and Peugeot versions on the road here, despite the Fiat diesel being a better performer than the PSA unit. The Qubo seems to be better specced as well.
I can only put it down to Peugeot having a better brand reputation than Fiat amongst older buyers.

I can only put it down to Peugeot having a better brand reputation than Fiat amongst older buyers.

are you serious:eek:...citroen/peugeot are desperate to sell cars and will sell at a loss hence lower garage prices which could explain why you see more plus take into account fiats crap marketing campaign.......non-existant! Agree qubo is better specced and better interior...i'd buy one if i had the money(y)

A bigger engine would mean higher insurance and road tax.

Or would it? The big diesels in BMWs, Audis etc. give 60+ mpg, with tremendous performance as well. They are in the £35 tax bracket too.

Fiat has the improved 1.3 Multijet 2, which should offer very high mpg figures, and 95hp as well. But they haven't put in in the Qubo. Only the 500 seems to be offered with it, oh, and the Punto Evo. For this reason I stand by my assertion that the Qubo is underpowered and not economical enough. And the Tom-tom Fiat seems to be offering looks to be more based on a bracket and additional software than a wholly integrated unit. Win win I'd say, as you get the removability with the voice activation and other software benefits.

I really like the Qubo, don't get me wrong; it's just that I don't think it is quite there yet. Also, cars are getting very expensive, and I am now intending to hold onto my Doblo for another couple of years; it's comfortable, does all it says on the box, and the replacement is going to be very expensive and an unknown quantity. I fear for DPFs and the usual dual mass clutches. Mine is OK at present, but...

have owned 1.3 mjet fiorino van base model for a year, now has 40000 mls on clock serviced personally 3 oil changes, 1 fuel filter, 1 air filter, never missed a beat, shown no mercy , 55 mpg. have also briefly driven nemo diesel it is sluggish in comparison. i intend to trade in for qubo active as air con etc not important to me but central locking electric windows are. i think this will be my last new diesel if dpf issue not sorted out, all new ones will have them next year, i think dealers are being very underhand it is buyer beware. i recommend small qubo/fiorino 1.3 multijet

But don't all current Diesels have DPFs?

Plus, although this sounds like a brilliant record; it is a car doing a very high mileage. For those of us who do 10,000 a year and keep our cars: what are the prospects I wonder?

Glad your car has been so trustworthy though.

Last edited:
no qubo mjet has dpf at moment unless specially ordered (who would) next year euro v comes in so all new diesels to comply will have dpf maybe smart diesel wont depends on particle count commercials have extra year to comply point is there is no option and they are not reliable or guaranteed you have no comeback under warranty dealer will tell you you are driving it wrong way and charge you £500 to fix nightmare!

are you serious:eek:...citroen/peugeot are desperate to sell cars and will sell at a loss hence lower garage prices which could explain why you see more plus take into account fiats crap marketing campaign.......non-existant! Agree qubo is better specced and better interior...i'd buy one if i had the money(y)

I know that Citroen don't have the greatest reputation, but Peugeot's small diesels (and most of their small cars) are well liked and pretty bullet-proof.
I've never owned one myself, but I know quite a few people who do.

As for discounts, I got 10% off my Qubo - cash purchase of car in stock. Would a Peugeot/Citroen dealer offer more? I didn't try, because the PSA diesel in the Nemo/Bipper is poor.

I agree about Fiat's marketing. I'd never heard of the Qubo before I went to the dealer's to look at a secondhand Doblo.

no qubo mjet has dpf at moment unless specially ordered (who would) next year euro v comes in so all new diesels to comply will have dpf maybe smart diesel wont depends on particle count commercials have extra year to comply point is there is no option and they are not reliable or guaranteed you have no comeback under warranty dealer will tell you you are driving it wrong way and charge you £500 to fix nightmare!

Thanks for confirming that the current engine doesn't have a DPF. I'd rather have a 75bhp engine that works, than a 95bhp engine with DPF.

We are installing DPF on tractors at the moment, no-one will escape the emissions laws. Off-highway are usually the last to comply.

The management of the DPF may get better with regards to engine duty cycles etc... so there might be a bit of improvement in the reliability there.

Also reading the specs, the Lamba/NOx sensors we are fitting have a 2000hr service life. I bet they dont put these on the service schedule for cars primarily to keep costs down.
Now I have to decide whether to make it a service item or let the farmer wait for the light to come on.

Ive seen a fair few Peugeot Bipper & Citroen Nemo vans, and only one Fiat Fiorino, but with the MPV versions i've not seen any Peugeot or Citroen versions, and seen 3 of the Qubos (y)

One was a white one, which looked awful, on the A420 in Oxfordshire. Think it had steel wheels (was on the move) so it'd be an Active.

Another was a Disco Green one (on the M40 near Junction 10-9 Southbound). Registration number began PE58 - someone on here?!

The third was parked in Manchester City Centre on Sunday 7th Feb, registration was (i think) P4 PLE. It was a bright orange Dynamic model, which looked ace.

Fiat's advertising hasn't been brilliant with them, but they were on the back cover of Auto Express for a long time, which is more than alot of Fiats get. The worst ad campaign has got to be the Bravo - that really needs a serious push on TV i reckon.

i want to make it clear i am not against emissions control, and if engineers can get it to work,- good. But at the moment a quick google (dpf problems) reveals many horror stories with many buyers not even aware they had a particulate filter. the purpose of egr/dpf is to reduce the bad stuff coming out of the tailpipe so it must be totally counterproductive to be forced into a 20 minute journey or sit with your foot on the throttle when the light comes on cos if you dont in a lot of cases you can end up with a sump full of diesel. i think you should be able to regenerate when you want to ie some sort of pre warning please burn off crap within next 100 mls not a light coming on sitting at traffic lights on way home for dinner. i hope they get it right i like diesel engines

think the croma was worse campaign......infact was there one:rolleyes:

Actually yeah i agree T, there wasn't one for the Croma!

It just frustrates me so much with the Bravo because it could sell so much better if they put an advert on telly every so often. Ive not seen an ad for it since the 5 year warranty offer/cock up!

Back