Technical Push rod tube oil leak

Currently reading:
Technical Push rod tube oil leak

Hi there. How did it go with the permatex grey, any success. I was going to try the same myself
I know that this won't help you at the moment, but "Nanni Ricambi" now market "spring-loaded" pushrod tubes specifically for the Panda30 head. They are slimmer than the normal "spring-loaded" push-rod tubes and will therefore go THROUGH the lower 'deck' in the Panda30 head (where the lower and upper tubes meet). I would suggest that you live with the situation with your engine at the moment, obtain a set (5) of the "Nanni Ricambi" tubes and then it is just a 'head-off' job to fit them.

Hi there. How did it go with the permatex grey, any success. I was going to try the same myself
Hi Yes it worked for me, it certainly stopped the annoying drip, but then I sold the car to a nice guy in Aberdeen after a few months of using Permatex, I have had no negative feedback from him so I assumed it worked.
On totally unrelated issues, I wish the Abarth modern forum was as good as this one. As I said before the classic 500 has to be the best car forum on the Web. So helpful!

Hi Yes it worked for me, it certainly stopped the annoying drip, but then I sold the car to a nice guy in Aberdeen after a few months of using Permatex, I have had no negative feedback from him so I assumed it worked.
On totally unrelated issues, I wish the Abarth modern forum was as good as this one. As I said before the classic 500 has to be the best car forum on the Web. So helpful!
Thanks. Iv ordered some! Will give it a go and then might get the seals and tubes all replaced in autumn

Thanks. Iv ordered some! Will give it a go and then might get the seals and tubes all replaced in autumn
I found the most difficult part of sealing you must seal all round the back of the tubes, not sure if your head is the same (panda 30) but trying to get all round the tube tops & bottom is crucial. Don’t forget to leave it a good couple of days before starting the engine as the oil will wash the Permatex out if its not completely dry. I squirted a drop on a piece of card as a test and made sure it was completely dry before starting the engine. Best of luck

I found the most difficult part of sealing you must seal all round the back of the tubes, not sure if your head is the same (panda 30) but trying to get all round the tube tops & bottom is crucial. Don’t forget to leave it a good couple of days before starting the engine as the oil will wash the Permatex out if its not completely dry. I squirted a drop on a piece of card as a test and made sure it was completely dry before starting the engine. Best of luck
No mine is a 650 head. The trickiest one to get all way round looks like the middle tube, the oils supply one which I think is the one that leaking the most. Can see where the seal has broken and sticking out and gone brittle.

No mine is a 650 head. The trickiest one to get all way round looks like the middle tube, the oils supply one which I think is the one that leaking the most. Can see where the seal has broken and sticking out and gone brittle.
In order for any sealant to work reliably you need to remove the tubes, replace the seals, and only use the sealant as a backup.

In order for any sealant to work reliably you need to remove the tubes, replace the seals, and only use the sealant as a backup.
Is there any way of doing that without removing the head? The central oil feed pipe is the one that's leaking a bit

Is there any way of doing that without removing the head? The central oil feed pipe is the one that's leaking a bit
Sadly, the only way to guarantee that the push-rod tubes are completely (and hopefully, permanantly) sealed is to remove the head and renew the tubes and seals. If you have a 'normal' head, the spring-loaded tubes can be fitted with the head on and the head-stud nuts JUST started---they will close up enough to achieve that. If you have a Panda30 head, I would suggest that the head is eventually removed, all surfaces cleaned up and the original "2 piece push-rod are replaced with the new spring-loaded push-rod tubes that Nanni Ricambi are now selling specifically for the Panda30 head. I wish that they had been available when I started on my Panda30 headed engine---I have had to use the VW adjustable push-rod tubes, along with a LOT of head fettling!

Back